Window Probs

Old August 18th 05, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Capt T

Default Window Probs

My 97 Bailey Ranger (3 front windows) has marks appearing on the central
window and they appear to be inside the double glazing.Are these true double
gazed windows ie vacuum sealed or can you dismatle them ie to clean.I am not
sure if its some sort of light coloured mould forming or what the marks are
I have noticed when towing it appears the window "glass" distorts slightly
under the pressure of the wind (slipstream) and I did wonder if that
happened would it touch the inner glass and thus form marks.
Any ideas

Cheers

Old August 18th 05, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

Are these true double
glazed windows ie vacuum sealed or can you dismatle them ie to clean.

They are acrylic, sealed units-but not vacuum sealed. You will find tiny
holes at each corner with little plastic stoppers (but they have probably
fallen out). Moist, mucky air can get in so the idea is that removing the
bungs on a clear dry day will help to remove any condensation. This is true,
but not for the mucky residue left behind. It's not possible to open the
unit-other than with a tin opener.
The surface is quite soft so must never be cleaned with harsh cloths
(especially those yellow super absorbent types).
DaveK.

Old August 18th 05, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Capt T" wrote in message
My 97 Bailey Ranger (3 front windows) has marks appearing on the central
window and they appear to be inside the double glazing.Are these true
double
gazed windows ie vacuum sealed or can you dismatle them ie to clean.

My friend and I both have Bailey Pagent Majestic 2003 caravans, both get a
sort of misting/condensation inside the glazing when stood in the sun all
day. Is this what you get?
On complaining to the suppling main dealer he provides a copy of a statement
from Bailey/thier supplier explaining this is normal, a sort of whitewash
statement so you do not get them replaced under warranty. So this problem
of ours must be wide spread.

Please reply to News Group

Old August 18th 05, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Chris J Dixon

Capt T wrote:

My 97 Bailey Ranger (3 front windows) has marks appearing on the central
window and they appear to be inside the double glazing.Are these true double
gazed windows ie vacuum sealed or can you dismatle them ie to clean.I am not
sure if its some sort of light coloured mould forming or what the marks are
I have noticed when towing it appears the window "glass" distorts slightly
under the pressure of the wind (slipstream) and I did wonder if that
happened would it touch the inner glass and thus form marks.

My singly large front window has similar marks. I'm not about to
calculate the forces at cruising speed, but I reckon that the two
panes can indeed make contact, causing the rub marks you report.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Old August 18th 05, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

Several years ago I had an Avondale that I towed at high speed (over 70 mph)
in Europe. When we came home I realised that going so fast was a big
mistake as the wind pressure had pushed the outer skin of the front window
onto the inner and there were several circular scruff marks. These could
not be removed.
I have not towed our Bailey caravan so fast since as I do not want a repeat,
I suspect it could even happen at lesser speeds.

Old August 19th 05, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Capt T

No its not a misting as such it is more like smudge marks or dirty finger
marks whitish in colour but no real form or shape to them.I havent tried
removing the plugs as suggested and will give that a go.As they are very
central I am beginning to subscribe to the chafing theory.Only cure I
suppose is a new window but the cost will be ridiculous.