make of caravan

Old August 18th 05, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
barbaragibbs

Default make of caravan

I recently brought an old caravan with a view t doing it up. I have tried
to get insurance and no one can find the manufacturer. On the caravan is
the name A1 caravans and on the side is Rambler 380-4 could any one advise
me to the name of the manufacturer
thanks Barbara

Old August 18th 05, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
George Hendry

In message , barbaragibbs
writes
I recently brought an old caravan with a view t doing it up. I have tried
to get insurance and no one can find the manufacturer. On the caravan is
the name A1 caravans and on the side is Rambler 380-4 could any one advise
me to the name of the manufacturer
thanks Barbara

It is indeed a Rambler caravan. Had one myself and if I remember
correctly it was a 1979/80 model. Very nice van by the standards then.
Had a front dinette and a double that pulled out at the rear with a bunk
over and a washroom in the rear corner.

IIRC it was made by a company called A-line which went out of business
in the early/mid eighties.

--
George Hendry

Old August 18th 05, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
George Hendry

In message , George Hendry
writes
In message , barbaragibbs
writes
I recently brought an old caravan with a view t doing it up. I have tried
to get insurance and no one can find the manufacturer. On the caravan is
the name A1 caravans and on the side is Rambler 380-4 could any one advise
me to the name of the manufacturer
thanks Barbara

It is indeed a Rambler caravan. Had one myself and if I remember
correctly it was a 1979/80 model. Very nice van by the standards then.
Had a front dinette and a double that pulled out at the rear with a
bunk over and a washroom in the rear corner.

IIRC it was made by a company called A-line which went out of business
in the early/mid eighties.

Just to follow up with a posting from elsewhere on the net identity was
sought for the year of manufacture of one of these vans, a 380-5. Its
serial no was 3805810258 which was identified as 1981 (see 5th and sixth
digits).
You could identify the year of yours in a similar way from the serial no
on the identity plate.

George Hendry
Old August 18th 05, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
George Hendry

In message , George Hendry
writes
In message , barbaragibbs
writes

Old August 19th 05, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave

Caravan names are a nightmare!

I have a van which is badged up as an "Avondale Carlton Millennium" if you
hadn't guessed, its an Avondale year 2000 special model, (got a nice clock
and a few bits of red velvet etc).
I got it from a reputable dealer and there's nowt wrong with it.
I tried to register it with CRIS, they said it didn't exist and the VIN
number was registered to an Avondale Dart 510/5 S.
I tried to insure it - the insurers wanted to know why it was registered as
one thing but badged as another! Good question!
I have a mate who is in the local police, he came along with a transponder
reader and picked up the VIN from the hidden chip inside the bodywork. It
was the same number that CRIS had as being the infernal Avondale Dart 510 /5
S!
I now have a van which is fully marked up (by the factory) as an "Avondale
Carlton Millennium" but is registered and insured as a Avondale Dart 510 /5
S! I have appealed to CRIS and the Insurers to change it - but no no no!
If it is ever nicked, what good will it be showing the police the CRIS
document and then saying "well, its not actually that van, you need to look
for a etc etc". What happens if I'm routinely checked pulling a van badged
as one thing and produce a CRIS document for another? What happens if I need
to make an insurance claim when the van I have id "technically" not the ame
one as on the insurance records?

I know I might be a bit off topic, but it makes me so damned mad!

Dave E

Derby

.. .

Old August 19th 05, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Have you not taken this up with the dealer who sold you it?
If yes and you got no where consult Tradeing Standards for advise on how to
proceed.

Please reply to News Group

Old August 19th 05, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
lazydog

It probably _is_ an Avondale Dart 510/5 S which was given a bit of facelift
for the millennium and renamed. Give Avondale a ring and ask _them_,
they're the ones who'll know.