CD player & radio for caravan

Old August 12th 03, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

Default CD player & radio for caravan

I (or more correctly my other half) want(s) a CD player and radio installed
in our caravan and I (not my dear wife) have been investigating the various
options re size, cost, ease of installation etc.

We 'do' participate in CC rallies so often just gas and 12V are available
for those.

Are 12V car CD/radio systems powered via the caravan's leisure battery a
sensible option ?

Cheers .... Richard

Old August 12th 03, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Richard tried to scribble ...

I (or more correctly my other half) want(s) a CD player and radio
installed in our caravan and I (not my dear wife) have been
investigating the various options re size, cost, ease of installation
etc.

We 'do' participate in CC rallies so often just gas and 12V are
available for those.

Are 12V car CD/radio systems powered via the caravan's leisure
battery a sensible option ?

Cheers .... Richard

Yup .. and are what's often fitted as Original Equipment by many
manufacturers ..

--
.............................Paul - xxx
Seti 1877 wu in 14298 hours

Old August 13th 03, 01:34 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bowtiejim

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
Richard tried to scribble ...

I (or more correctly my other half) want(s) a CD player and radio
installed in our caravan and I (not my dear wife) have been
investigating the various options re size, cost, ease of installation
etc.

We 'do' participate in CC rallies so often just gas and 12V are
available for those.

Are 12V car CD/radio systems powered via the caravan's leisure
battery a sensible option ?

Cheers .... Richard

Yup .. and are what's often fitted as Original Equipment by many
manufacturers ..

--
............................Paul - xxx
Seti 1877 wu in 14298 hours
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu

Man, what a golden opp. Base units in all the cupboards, tweeters
everywhere and a sub-woofer under the bed. 200 watt amps and gold plated
interconnects with laminated crystal wire. You swill rock!

Old August 13th 03, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bill on the hill

Yep fitted a car radio/CD in my Compass 534 this year, van even had the
wiring loom fitted so I cut some big holes (brave!) and plugged it in and
off it went! Sounds very good as well, Radio is a JVC, speakers are Sony,
went and listened to the various combinations in Halfords, picked the sound
we liked, cost me 140 all together.

Bill

Old August 13th 03, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

We 'do' participate in CC rallies so often just gas and 12V are

available
for those.

Are 12V car CD/radio systems powered via the caravan's leisure battery a
sensible option ?

What you need is a gas powered device.

Mary

Cheers .... Richard

Old August 13th 03, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ed

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 22:23:19 +0000 (UTC), "Richard"
wrote:

I (or more correctly my other half) want(s) a CD player and radio installed
in our caravan and I (not my dear wife) have been investigating the various
options re size, cost, ease of installation etc.

We 'do' participate in CC rallies so often just gas and 12V are available
for those.

Are 12V car CD/radio systems powered via the caravan's leisure battery a
sensible option ?

Cheers .... Richard

What is worth remembering is that most portable radio/cd players (not
walkman type) take 8 batteries. 8 times 1.5v = 12v.
With a bit of ingenuity it is possible to wire the portable unit up to
plug into your caravan for power.

The radio/cd would be much cheaper than a car setup and retain it's
usefulness and portability.

Ed

Old August 13th 03, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Martin Imber

Radio is a JVC, speakers are Sony,
went and listened to the various combinations in Halfords, picked the

sound
we liked, cost me 140 all together.

Not bad but I replaced some car speakers for 100 on line which were 120 at
Halfords (Infinty 605cs) (in my tow car!!!!).

Unfortunately for me to do the caravan it would cost about 300 including a
MD head unit.

I'll just turn up the car radiog

Old August 13th 03, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
CampinGazz

wrote:

What is worth remembering is that most portable radio/cd players (not
walkman type) take 8 batteries. 8 times 1.5v = 12v.
With a bit of ingenuity it is possible to wire the portable unit up to
plug into your caravan for power.

along that line, but for hte slightly more adventerous, i had an ex mains
mini system in my last van,
had it laying about, was going to chuck it out, but i thought it's the ideal
size for the camper van, took the amstrad badges off first

but as with almost all electronic equipment that runs on mains, the mains
goes straight to a transfromer, then through a bridge rectifier, turning the
140 voilts AC into a low voltage DC toi actually run the electronics,
a quick measurment of the outputs from the transformer inside the mini
system gave me these results:
there were 2 taps from the transformer, one went to the amp, the other to
the rest of the unit, the amp supply was 12 volts.. how handy, the supply to
the rest of the unit was 9 volts,

out came the mains transfromer, a quick trip to maplins and a voltage
regulator kit was bought for a fiver,
a new power lead to the unit with a 12 volt plug on the ned of the type i
use in the van, the lead went to the amp wires that need 12 volts, then to
the voltage regulator which was set up to give out 9 volts, and the output
from the regulator to the other leads that used to go to the 9 volt tap on
the transformer,

put it all back together, check the clearances under the unit on the inside,
and i screwed it down to a shelf in the van,
sunk some car type speakers in the roof lining of the van, and that was it
done,
a home style mini system that ran off 12 volts,
when the system was new i think it only cost about 60 quid, you can pick
them up at car boot sales for a fiver nowadays (most people are too ashamed
to have them on show in their houses

i saw a few converted units at a motorhome show a few years ago, someone had
just opened it up, added a 12 volt lead to the output wires on the
transformer (with a diode i hope), and sold them for about 70 quid as mini
systems you can use in the van or at home.

Old August 13th 03, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

I once did this by fitting a piece of wood into the battery compartment and
linking the ends with wire and dome headed screws.