What kind of jack needed for 4.5 tonne vehicle?

Old August 19th 05, 02:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
skintoo

Default What kind of jack needed for 4.5 tonne vehicle?

Hi everyone, I'm now the proud owner of a stonking great Mercedes 609D
truck, beautifully converted into a camper by the previous owner.

But I'm certainly totally green when it comes to dealing with an
HGV,(for one thing, I'm only just coming to terms with the fact that
you can fit a house or two - never mind a couple of piffling cars -
into the blind-spot behind, and I still feel a certain sense of drama
and excitement when the warning beep goes off for reversing).

Anyway, was wondering what kind of jack is normally used when you
change the wheel on a beast like this?
I'm presuming a big AA/RAC style wheel jack is called for. The biggest
in Halford's has a 3.5 ton max specification... though the Merc
officially weighs in a 4.5

Do you think I'd get away with a 3.5, since presumably I'm only tilting
half the vehicle up at a time : ) ?

What is generally used for heavy trucks like this?

cheers for any wisdom or suggestions

skintoo

Old August 19th 05, 07:17 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John

On 18 Aug 2005 19:44:25 -0700, "skintoo"
wrote:

[...]

You need a large bottle jack, they carry more and are far easier to
store. A point to consider is you wont be carrying 4.5 tonne when you
jack a corner up.

Old August 19th 05, 07:21 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John

Good price here http://tinyurl.com/7ayf9

Old August 19th 05, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
skintoo

wrote:

[...]

Thanks John, I'll get meself one of them.
right, I'm off to the Gower for the wkend (to find out if this vehicle
is rainproof : ) )

Old August 20th 05, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ROBIN DUMPLETON

I use a ten tonne bottle jack on my wagon, a bit of over kill, but your
local wagon breaker can supply a jack and handle, say from a eurocargo,
which is small and lightweight.
Just remember that wagon wheels are done up to a much higher torque than van
wheels. You will need a big wheel brace ala landrover enthusiasts and an
extra long tube (scaff tube) to break the nuts out.
Also if you are in the AA or RAC ditch them now!
They won't go out to a vehicle over 3.5 tonnes, you need to be with
Mayflower or Greenflag who do vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes.

Robin

"skintoo" wrote in message
oups.com...