washing caravans

Old August 13th 03, 12:09 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jaxx

Default washing caravans

Is it ok to jet wash a caravan (40ft static) sited under trees and then wax
it using a normal car wax, would the wax help to keep it clean?

Old August 13th 03, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Clive

"Jaxx" wrote in message ...
Is it ok to jet wash a caravan (40ft static) sited under trees and then wax
it using a normal car wax, would the wax help to keep it clean?

Most touring caravan manufacturers state that use of jet washers will
invalidate their warranties. The power of them is supposed to be able
to forcethe sealant out. Presume its the same with statics.

There is nothing produced that will keep your van clean apart from a
huge tarpaulin. A good polish such as Mer will make it easier to clean
next time.

I use Fenwick's solution available from caravan dealers which is as
close to a miracle solution as I have found for dealing with the green
stuff from trees. I couldn't face cleaning a 40' static though.

Clive
Old August 13th 03, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard H

"Clive" wrote in message
om...
"Jaxx" wrote in message

Is it ok to jet wash a caravan (40ft static) sited under trees and then

wax
it using a normal car wax, would the wax help to keep it clean?

Most touring caravan manufacturers state that use of jet washers will
invalidate their warranties. The power of them is supposed to be able
to forcethe sealant out. Presume its the same with statics.

There is nothing produced that will keep your van clean apart from a
huge tarpaulin. A good polish such as Mer will make it easier to clean
next time.

I use Fenwick's solution available from caravan dealers which is as
close to a miracle solution as I have found for dealing with the green
stuff from trees. I couldn't face cleaning a 40' static though.

Clive

I wouldn't necessarily recommend car wax as it is designed for a different
kind of paintwork acryllic / enamel

Richard

Old August 13th 03, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

I washed and polished mine with Mer a week past Monday and now can hardly
tell that it ever was polished. I think after cleaning a wash with Zip Wax
or the like is good enough. Do not use wash up liquid.

Old August 14th 03, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
AL

"Richard H" wrote in message
I wouldn't necessarily recommend car wax as it is designed for a different
kind of paintwork acryllic / enamel

Richard

Erm, sorry Richard, but no it's not :-)
At a guess, caravans would be painted with an Acrylic paint, which all cars
have been painted with for many years now, the main difference in painting
Aluminium, is the Primer, which is an Etch primer, this chemically etches
the Aluminiun, to prevent flaking of the paint, Land Rover / Range Rovers
were / are also Aluminium bodies and painted the same way.
One pice of advice, be very, very careful using ANY polish that has an
abrasive element to it, i.e. the T-Cut range of polishes (and others)
Caravan paint seems very thin and i have in the past polished through the
paint, using T-Cut to bring a dull finish back to shiny.

AL

Old August 14th 03, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Michael Haselhof

I don't see why not, A polish is better than NO polish. I t.cut and polish
mine whenever it needs it, does to an extent depend on the surface finish of
the caravan, mine is a kind of rippled finish. But to wash the caravan I
don't buy the Fenwick's now; I buy The Autoglym, motorhome and caravan
cleaner, it comes in a spray bottle and is used liberally for max cleaning
results, it costs about the same as the Fenwick's but is much better.
"Richard H" wrote in message

"Clive" wrote in message
om...