Hobby single axle tyres.

Old August 21st 05, 03:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

Default Hobby single axle tyres.

My Hobby(495 UFE), new three years ago, had Matador 205/70 R 96R tyres
fitted. A few weeks ago I noted a series of radial indentations in the side
walls of both tyres with no scuff marks to indicate any type of kerbing
damage. My local tyre shop didn't like the look of the "damage" and
recommended replacing them. He wanted to replace with 6ply tyres, but
couldn't get the size and I settled for side wall reinforced Semperit 97R.

I am fairly careful about loading, but keeping to the 50kgs personal loading
limit is almost impossible particularly if a battery, which is not standard
equipment, is fitted. The Hobby manual says it is permissible to increase
pressures in the tyres to 3 bar, from 2.7 bar, when fully laden and I tend
to do this all the time. I am suspicious that the problem with the tyres
may be caused may be caused either by over loading, the original tyres were
rated at 690 kgs for a van of MGW 1,400 kgs, or by perhaps running the tyres
at the higher pressure all the time - the wheels are dismounted during the
winter months. I keep in the main to the national speed limits in the UK,
but note that Hobby and VW recommend the German limit of 80kph. The tyres
have done about three to four thousand miles since new.

Has anyone had any similar experience?

Jim

Old August 21st 05, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 03:44:49 GMT, "Jim" wrote:

[...]

Hi Jim,

I've got a 3 year old 460UFe with uprated chassis, it runs on 205/70 R
95H tyres can't see a make on them but they are marked GTR - 378.
Done about 10,000 miles mostly on the continent fairly high speed
towing, Often come back from France & Italy well overloaded.
Just had a look, the tyres look fine.

I have seen this banding before but only on old vans & cars that
haven't had their tyres changed for years.

Lenny

Old August 21st 05, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Jim wrote:

[...]

Sounds as if the original tyres may have been from a bad batch. The usual
advice is to replace tyres after 5 years even if they've had little or no
use - but they certainly shouldn't fail after 3 years!

There seems to be a bit missing in the tyre spec which you quote, because I
can see no reference to rim diameter. However, I assume that the 96R which
you mention is the load and speed rating.

Tyre markings are explained at
http://www.trailerpartswarehouse.co....avan_tyres.htm
in case you're not familiar with them. There are links at the top of the
page to load and speed rating tables.

According to the tables, a load rating of 96 means 710 Kg - which is just
about ok for a 1400 Kg caravan - but not over generous, since it makes no
allowance for uneven loading. Having said that, the speed rating of R (106
mph) is somewhat higher than you're likely to use - and if you're not going
to exceed 60 mph, you may be able to load the tyres to 10% above their load
rating. [See http://www.ntta.co.uk/law/trailers/speed_symbols.htm ]

Your replacement tyres have a load rating of 97 - which is 730 Kg per tyre,
giving you a bit more margin. I would certainly run them close to the max
pressure embossed on the tyrewall.

I'm not quite sure what you meant about keeping to the personal loading
limit. If the van is plated with a max weight of 1400 Kg, it is *illegal* to
exceed this - as well as being dangerous if you are running on tyres which
are only just adequate for 1400 Kg.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old August 22nd 05, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

Thank you everyone.

The rim size is 14".

The MGW seems to be a bit of a movable feast with some manufacturers as some
seem to be prepared to replate to a higher limit on request. The same van
which was listed as 1,400 kgs MGW including a personal possessions loading
limit of 50kgs is now listed by Hobby as being 1,500 kgs with a personal
identical I cannot see where they have managed to save the weight unless
there has been a complete chassis change, which as far as I can see there
hasn't.

I will take the van to the weigh bridge and see what that says.

Jim

Old August 22nd 05, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Jim wrote:

Thank you everyone.

The rim size is 14".

The MGW seems to be a bit of a movable feast with some manufacturers
as some seem to be prepared to replate to a higher limit on request.
The same van which was listed as 1,400 kgs MGW including a personal
possessions loading limit of 50kgs is now listed by Hobby as being
1,500 kgs with a personal loading limit of 250kgs. As the trim
details and equipment details are identical I cannot see where they
have managed to save the weight unless there has been a complete
chassis change, which as far as I can see there hasn't.

I will take the van to the weigh bridge and see what that says.

Jim

Caravan manufacturers sometimes plate their vans with an artificially low
MGW in order to appeal to customers with a wider range of towcars. Under
these conditions they will sometimes re-plate them with a higher value - but
*only* if the spec of the tyres and brakes etc. are compatible with the
higher figure.

If your van is plated at 1400 Kg, it is *illegal* to exceed 1400. It is very
unlikely that it could be re-plated to 1500 Kg without - at least - fitting
heavier duty tyres.

I'm not quite sure what you're including in your personal possessions limit
of 50 Kg. Are you saying that your van weighs 1350 Kg *before* you fit the
battery, gas bottles, awning, bedding, pots/pans/crockery/cuttlery, food and
clothes?

If so, you have a *major* problem - and have probably been grossly
overloading the van - which may well explain what has happened to the tyres.

I think that trip to the weighbridge is a *very* good idea!
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock