powerwheel or truma

Old August 22nd 05, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
stephen dobson

Default powerwheel or truma

hi

i am about to order a mover for my single axle van, anybody remommend which
is the better powerwheel or truma,or are they both the same?

regards ste

Old August 22nd 05, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

"stephen dobson" wrote in message
hi

i am about to order a mover for my single axle van, anybody remommend
which is the better powerwheel or truma,or are they both the same?

regards ste

In principle yes. However, look at the weights. The Truma is about 30Kg
and the Powrwheel is about 37Kg. Therefore the amount you can load into
your van is reduced by this to keep it within the maximum laden weight.

--

Jim

Old August 22nd 05, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Martin McGowan

stephen dobson wrote:
hi

i am about to order a mover for my single axle van, anybody remommend which
is the better powerwheel or truma,or are they both the same?

regards ste

the power wheel replaces the jockey wheel and, I understand, has a
tiller to steer the caravan by. the Truma engages rollers against the
caravan tyres and independently powers them. it is steered by a handheld
remote control and i find it gives inch by inch control and positioning.
The Truma also benefits in that it doesn't have to be removed when
towing, just a quick flick of the two engaging nuts and it's done. As
you may guess I have the Truma as I'm physically unable to lift a
powerwheel into my tug for transport. Best wishes. Martin

Old August 22nd 05, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tim

The power touch does exactly the same as the truma but adds soft start and 5
yr g/t and its cheaper!

Old August 22nd 05, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

stephen dobson wrote:

hi

i am about to order a mover for my single axle van, anybody remommend
which is the better powerwheel or truma,or are they both the same?

regards ste

I don't have direct experience of either - but in previous discussions, many
people have said that they like the Reich mover - which isn't one you
mention.

It is generally considered to be a good idea to have a soft start - to aid
fine manoeuvring - which AFAIK the Powertouch and Reich have but the Truma
doesn't. I once had a go with a Truma at the NEC show and found it very
jerky. I wouldn't want to use it close to a wall for fear of swinging the
van into the wall. Soft start models should overcome this problem.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old August 22nd 05, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gordon Austin

The main difference between Powrtouch & Reich is that the latter hangs
slightly lower consequently, leaves less groung clearance!! Plus I believe,
the motors are mounted inboard on the chassis, but dont quote me on that
point!!
Tankie