Towing with an automatic

Old August 24th 05, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Griff

Default Towing with an automatic

Hi,

Considering taking up touring again after a 20 year break.

This time around I have a 2001 Discovery TDi 5 Automatic and wondered how
autos fair these days on the towing front?

Seem to think that in the past, manuals were considered better for some
reason?

Cheers,

Griff.

Old August 24th 05, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Martin

This time around I have a 2001 Discovery TDi 5 Automatic and wondered how
autos fair these days on the towing front?

Seem to think that in the past, manuals were considered better for some
reason?

Autos are fine - less shock loading on the vans as well

Old August 24th 05, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
etomd

"Griff" wrote in message
Hi,

Considering taking up touring again after a 20 year break.

This time around I have a 2001 Discovery TDi 5 Automatic and wondered how
autos fair these days on the towing front?

Seem to think that in the past, manuals were considered better for some
reason?

Like everything else you are either for or against.........Having once owned
and automatic I am against.!

Old August 24th 05, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Christian McArdle

This time around I have a 2001 Discovery TDi 5 Automatic and wondered how
autos fair these days on the towing front?

The only issue is that many older automatic transmissions would overheat and
need an external oil cooler. Most modern vehicles now have these as
standard.

Apart from that, the merits and otherwise of automatic transmissions are no
different from when solo.

Christian.

Old August 24th 05, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Griff came up with the following;:
Hi,

Considering taking up touring again after a 20 year break.

This time around I have a 2001 Discovery TDi 5 Automatic and wondered how
autos fair these days on the towing front?

Seem to think that in the past, manuals were considered better for some
reason?

Doesn't really matter these days. A larger intercooler _really_ helps the
towing ability of any Disco, but standard they are still great ...

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Old August 24th 05, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Keith Dunbar \(2\)

I deliberately bought an automatic Mondeo (tdci 130)when I replaced my car,
and am very happy with it. It is so much easier to pull away, especially
uphill, and generally so much smoother and easier to drive, than my old
manual Nissan Primera. Of course the Primera was definitely underpowered,
so needed a great deal of revving to pull away uphill, with subsequent
rather smelly clutch! No such problems with an automatic, which is also
much easier to get a smooth getaway with in wet fields.

Keith