Towing with a Ford Transit.

Old August 25th 05, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike Abbott

Default Towing with a Ford Transit.

The Transit 100 is a SWB standard low top 2.5 Diesel with a 5 speed box.

The figures on the makes plate show

2650 Kg
3500 Kg

1350 kg axle 1

1500 kg axle 2

and 2835kg

I aren't certain what these figures are.

Mike Abbott

Old August 25th 05, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 18:43:50 +0100, "Mike Abbott"
wrote:

The Transit 100 is a SWB standard low top 2.5 Diesel with a 5 speed box.

The figures on the makes plate show

2650 Kg

This should be max gross vehicle weight
3500 Kg

This should be max train weight, ie the van plus the trailer.

1350 kg axle 1

1500 kg axle 2

and 2835kg

This looks like the sum of the maxima of both the two axles, though
what relevance it has I do not know.

If you find out what the van weighs when it's loaded with you and
yours and whatever you are putting in your vehicle to go away with and
then you can find out what the maximum weight of van you can legally
tow. Mind you what is legal and what is to be recommended are not the
same. to find that you should be finding out what the van weighs with
a full tank of fuel and you as driver with no other load and then find
85% and you will not go far wrong.

(remove the spam to reply)

Old August 25th 05, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , bill lord
writes
wrote:

[...]

The two axle weights are the maximum loadings on each axle, so your max
weight can be 2835kg but must be loaded in such away that the individual
axle limits are not exceeded. These figures are also quoted for my Land
rover, so I assume are standard for light commercials.
--
hugh

Old August 25th 05, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
johnh

"Mike Abbott" wrote in message
The Transit 100 is a SWB standard low top 2.5 Diesel with a 5 speed box.

The figures on the makes plate show

2650 Kg
3500 Kg

1350 kg axle 1

1500 kg axle 2

and 2835kg

I aren't certain what these figures are.

Mike Abbott

Hi Mike you'll find help here http://tinyurl.com/48lfa, scroll half way down
the page to 'Carrying and towing capacities'

HTH

Old August 26th 05, 07:03 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

Mind you what is legal and what is to be recommended are not the
same. to find that you should be finding out what the van weighs with
a full tank of fuel and you as driver with no other load and then find
85% and you will not go far wrong.

Alko, and other chassis manufacturers state that commercial vehicles should
not be used for towing caravans.
Too rigid suspension-can break hitches and A frames.
(I'd treat it as a 'recommend').
DaveK.