Faulty Battery /TP2

Old August 28th 05, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tinkapace

Default Faulty Battery /TP2

Hi I have a battery fitted to my van in a TP2 unit. Last week whilst away
the 12 volt lights got dimmer and dimmer so on the last but one day I sat
there and thought I know I can take out the battery and connect the TP2 to
the 12v input to the van and use the TP2 as a power suply instead of a
charger. Worked fine as long as I only used the lighting. If I turned on the
water tap it tripped the TP2 and I had to turn it off and on to reset it.
Now I am assuming that the TP2 shuts down with high current drain as its
only intended to be used as a charger not a power supply as in normal
situation the power is drawn from the battery not directly from the TP2 .
Can anyone confirm this ? The TP2 is giving out 12 volts so I presume its OK
and my problem is a duff battery. I have had the battery about 3.5 years
now.
--
Tim Pace
Elite Mortgage Solutions LTD

Old August 28th 05, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David @ Home

"Tinkapace" wrote in message
. uk...

[...]

The TP2 would need to give out more than 12V to charge a battery, more like
13.8V, so I would suggest the charger is faulty, but this may have caused
the battery to fail too.

Cheers

Old August 29th 05, 06:16 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tinkapace

But would it not be the amps that mattered as well as the volts ? most
devices trip on current drain do they not ? does anyone knoe how many amps a
tp2 provides ?

Old August 29th 05, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 06:16:22 GMT, "Tinkapace"
wrote:

But would it not be the amps that mattered as well as the volts ? most
devices trip on current drain do they not ? does anyone knoe how many amps a
tp2 provides ?

I think its 4 amps, TP2's need the battery in circuit to provide
smoothing. Without a battery its OK to run bulbs but not florescent
fittings.

Lenny

Old August 29th 05, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tinkapace

Oh I see, so the output is is a rough unsmoothed AC withouth the battery,
makes sense

Old August 29th 05, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 13:05:39 GMT, "Tinkapace"
wrote:

Oh I see, so the output is is a rough unsmoothed AC withouth the battery,
makes sense

Unsmoothed DC.

Lenny