electrical problems

Old August 29th 05, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Pete

Default electrical problems

Hi

We purchased an 8 year old Swift Silhouette Classic from a dealer recently

We've just been away for a fortnight in it and an electrical 'problem'
developed. I came out of the shower and found the pump was running
constantly, even though no taps were on. I assumed the water tank was empty
but it wasn't, so I switched the pump off.

I then turned on the Carver Fanmaster air heater, and it wouldn't start.

I noticed the battery was low, so I turned the charger on, at which point
the Fanmaster started and the caravan lights became brighter. When I
switched the charger off, the Fanmaster stopped and the lights became
dimmer.

I haven't had the problem with the pump since, so that may be a red herring.

It seems that the power is being drawn from the battery rather than directly
from the mains, and that I can only keep things running by keeping the
battery topped up with the charger. It dawned on me that maybe that is
supposed to be how it works?

Any advice will be gratefully received

Thanks

Pete

Old August 29th 05, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Pete

"Pete" wrote in message
[...]

I've had a couple of emails in response to this posting which suggest my
understanding of the system was plainly wrong. I assumed the battery would
only be used if mains wasn't available

It seems it's best to keep the battery on charge all the time

Pete

Old August 29th 05, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 08:47:34 GMT, "Pete"
wrote:

[...]

This is precisely how it is supposed to work, the batery is in the
circuit as a smoothing device. The problem with the pump is related, I
expect your water system is one which depends upon a pressure switch
in the inlet to control whether the pump runs or not, ie when you open
a tap the pressure drops and then the pump statrs and continues until
it has managed to build the pressure up to it's specified level (
usually when the tap is turned off). When the battery voltage gets low
the pump is no longer able to reach this pressure and continues to
run. If you look at the water inlet you will find a screw that if you
turn one way the specified pressure is lowered and turn it the other
the pressure is raised. When the battery is low you lwer the pressure
and when the battery is fully charged you raise the pressure, failure
to do this will mean that the pump cycles on and off resulting in a
shower that gives you alternating hot and cold spurts.

It sounds complicated but is quite easy to manage.

(remove the spam to reply)

Old August 29th 05, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
BOTTLE

I haven't had the problem with the pump since, so that may be a red

herring.

It seems that the power is being drawn from the battery rather than

directly
from the mains, and that I can only keep things running by keeping the
battery topped up with the charger. It dawned on me that maybe that is
supposed to be how it works?

As you have now been told you must keep on charge all the time, we have a
swift 470 and the same thing happened to us the first time out, since the
mains were on and the battery kept on charge we have had know further
problems, but we do wonder what would happen if we were on a weekend rally
with no electric mains.

Old August 29th 05, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

wrote:

[...]

As in the earlier post about TP2, the charger needs a battery in
circuit for smoothing.

Lenny

Old August 29th 05, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 12:14:27 GMT, "BOTTLE"
wrote:

but we do wonder what would happen if we were on a weekend rally
with no electric mains.

You shouldn't have a problem at all, be aware that you may have to
reduce the pump pressure threshold, and that you might find it handy
to have a spare battery, though if you are only going Friday till
sunday you would be unlikely to need one providing that your original
battery was fully charged.
I have just got back from a fortnight away with no hook up, and the
battery we use was charged after 5 days ( though it would have done
another day at least, and then when it had been put back into use
after a day on the farmers bench, it lasted another 5 days.

(remove the spam to reply)