Twin axle levelling?

Old August 29th 05, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy E

Default Twin axle levelling?

I am purchasing a twin axle caravan in November and need your suggestions on
the best way of levelling the caravan. I was thinking of getting a wedge of
wood made at the local timber merchants approx 32"long x 10" wide x 8" high.
This would allow me to drive onto it on site, similar to what I do now with
my single axle.

Does anyone have a better suggestion for me? The alternative would to
purchase 2x Dixon bate type levellers. But I believe it is awkward to space
them correctly, and drive onto them.

Appreciate some good suggestions.

Many thanks

Andy E

Old August 29th 05, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

I use two wedges, one for each wheel.

A pal uses one just like you propose

Both work!
Old August 29th 05, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

Old August 30th 05, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

Not sure if this would work with a twin axle but it works very well with a
single axle + mover. You need four boards about 3/4 inch thick 7" to 8"
wide say 2' long. Fix the boards together at one end with a long bolt
through the centre - on top of which you need a small block (as a wheel
stop). Cut a slope into the blocks at the other end of the boards. You need
a decent slope - my first cut was far too steep a slope. (I also have an
extra bolt through the centre of the blocks to stop them swinging when not
in use). Turn the slats to regulate height and with a mover it is best to
reverse onto the block to avoid the suspended motors etc. You might be able
to somehow modify the idea for a twin axle.

I find the advantage to be that the van wheel always then sits on a level
taking pressure off the brake etc. Given previous experiences with sloping
blocks and chocking I can tell you this is particularly easy to manage.

I copied it from a fellow caravanner and many of those who have seen ours
said they intended to make one.

Mike

.. .