Underslung spare wheel

Old August 13th 03, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

Default Underslung spare wheel

Rather late in the day I know because Spouse is fitting a device to hold the
spare wheel under the caravan floor as I type but I wondered if anyone had
done it and has any tips?

Mary

Old August 13th 03, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike Hill

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

Rather late in the day I know because Spouse is fitting a device to hold

the
spare wheel under the caravan floor as I type but I wondered if anyone had
done it and has any tips?

Mary

Make sure the inner sliding tube is well greased before you fit it to the
van.

Mike.

Old August 13th 03, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
klyne

--
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

Rather late in the day I know because Spouse is fitting a device to hold

the
spare wheel under the caravan floor as I type but I wondered if anyone had
done it and has any tips?

Mary

It depends what sort of chassis your caravan has. If it is the AlKo one they
sell a spare wheel carried which is quite easy to fit and costs about 60,
although you do need plenty of side space to pull it out and attach the
wheel. Not sure about other makes of chassis.

David - Milton Keynes
www.klyne.btinternet.co.uk
site reports

Old August 13th 03, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

Rather late in the day I know because Spouse is fitting a device to hold

the
spare wheel under the caravan floor as I type but I wondered if anyone had
done it and has any tips?

Mary

Is it the Alko telescopic one, and is he fitting it onto a van with an Alko
chassis? If so, all the holes are already there, and it's pretty
straightforward to fit.

Operating it is a different matter! It's quite easy to *retrieve* the spare
wheel - unless, of course, you need it to replace a flat tyre on the side of
the van where the spare is stored - in which case you will need to jack the
van up first.

It's *stowing* it that's a right sod of a job! Bolting the wheel onto the
carrier is the easy bit. You then have to lift it slightly, and slide it in.
If you lift it too much, the wheel fouls the chassis. If you lift it too
little, it fouls the ground. And that's always assuming that it hasn't
jammed in the fully extended position - which mine is prone to doing.
Finally, having slid it in fully so the wheel is inboard of the chassis, you
then have to lift it more in order to engage the hole in its plate with the
bolt on the chassis. This is the *real* fun bit because - in order to be in
a position where you can lift it, your head is inevitably in a position
where you can't *see* what your doing.

I've never - touch wood - had to use my spare wheel in the 12 years for
which I have owned the van - but I've had some real fun getting it in and
out to check tyre pressures and it store it away from the van for the
winter.

Good luck!

Roger

Old August 13th 03, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Kevin

Mary

Just a few things to consider.
Has it had any effect on the nose weight?
Remember to check tyre pressure on a dry day.......lol
If you get a puncture will it pull out when the van is lower and you have
parked at the side of a curb? Will you be trying to pull it out into a lane
of traffic when touring abroad?
It does also leave marks on the tyre sidewalls after a while. I am not sure
how much damage this will do but it did shock me when I last looked.

Hope this helps

Kev

Old August 13th 03, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

When using the Alko carrier it is best to pull it slightly sideways towards
the rear of the 'van when pulling out; a sideways movement helps both coming
out and going in. I have one of these tyre pressure indicators (advertised
from time to time in C/C mag) fitted on an extension tyre hose so that I can
check the pressure without pulling out the wheel, can also blow the tyre up
from the side of the 'van.

Old August 13th 03, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
JayDee

"Stewart" wrote in message
snip
I have one of these tyre pressure indicators (advertised
from time to time in C/C mag) fitted on an extension tyre hose so that I

can
check the pressure without pulling out the wheel, can also blow the tyre

up
from the side of the 'van.

snip

Hey, That sounds like a neat idea. What exactly do you have? How do you rig
it up?

ATB

JayDee

Old August 14th 03, 12:06 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Terry

JayDee wrote:

"Stewart" wrote in message
snip
I have one of these tyre pressure indicators (advertised
from time to time in C/C mag) fitted on an extension tyre hose so that I

can
check the pressure without pulling out the wheel, can also blow the tyre

up
from the side of the 'van.

snip

Hey, That sounds like a neat idea. What exactly do you have? How do you rig
it up?

ATB

JayDee

Remembering our total overall length 13 footer in the 1970s.
Bought a used caravan, no spare. Obtained a used Chevrolet wheel
which was identical to van. Fitted new tyre. Made a bracket,
painted it and mounted it on the hitch in front of the two 20 lb.
gas bottles. Used it once about 30 miles off the main highway
about 5-6 driving hours from home. Very easy to check its
pressure mounted on the hitch.
Old August 14th 03, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

"Roger Mills" wrote in message

[...]

Ditto to all that about that product ...... Richard

Old August 14th 03, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
JayDee

"John Manders" wrote in message

"JayDee" wrote in message
snip

Hey, That sounds like a neat idea. What exactly do you have? How do you

rig
it up?

ATB

JayDee

They are flexible hoses which fasten onto the tyre valve and have another
valve at the free end. ISTR that they are available from tyre centre for
checking the inner wheels of lorries.

John

Thanks John. I'll be looking into that.

ATB