Dartford crossing charges

Old August 31st 05, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John B

Default Dartford crossing charges

I recently crossed the Dartford bridge with a caravan at about 3.30am.,
travelling overnight from Lancashire to Dover. The sign stated the prices for a
night time crossing - Motorbikes free; all other vehicles, including HGVs 1.00.
I was very surprised to be asked for 2.00 at the toll both. I questionned this
and was told it was because I was towing a trailer. Why then are full artic HGVs
not charged 2.00 also, as they are also a tow / trailer combination? It seems
like another organisation is discriminating against caravans. I do not know if
luggage trailers are charged likewise.

John B

Old August 31st 05, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

I was very surprised to be asked for 2.00 at the toll both. I questionned
this
and was told it was because I was towing a trailer. Why then are full
artic HGVs
not charged 2.00 also, as they are also a tow / trailer combination?

Just another example of ripoff blairland.
See mine below re M6 toll. 27p a mile! Caravans even more.
Just did France again and soared above the Seine estuary on the Pont de
Normandie-3.57 solo, 4.14 with caravan- but that is some bridge.
DaveK.

Old August 31st 05, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alex Heney

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:14:15 +0100, "John B"
wrote:

I recently crossed the Dartford bridge with a caravan at about 3.30am.,
travelling overnight from Lancashire to Dover. The sign stated the prices for a
night time crossing - Motorbikes free; all other vehicles, including HGVs 1.00.
I was very surprised to be asked for 2.00 at the toll both. I questionned this
and was told it was because I was towing a trailer. Why then are full artic HGVs
not charged 2.00 also, as they are also a tow / trailer combination?

I should think they are.

The charges schedule does say that trailers are charged at the same
rate as the vehicles towing them
http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/projects/motorways/m25/dartford_thurrock_river_crossing/faq/pdfs/dartford_crossing_charges_schedule.pdf

It seems
like another organisation is discriminating against caravans. I do not know if
luggage trailers are charged likewise.

Again, I think they will be.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Some days you're a bug, other days a windshield.

Old September 1st 05, 06:52 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Diane Epps

wrote:

I recently crossed the Dartford bridge with a caravan at about 3.30am.,
travelling overnight from Lancashire to Dover. The sign stated the prices
for a
night time crossing - Motorbikes free; all other vehicles, including HGVs
1.00.
I was very surprised to be asked for 2.00 at the toll both. I questionned
this
and was told it was because I was towing a trailer. Why then are full
artic HGVs
not charged 2.00 also, as they are also a tow / trailer combination?

I remember the bridge being built and charges were only going to last until
the bridge was paid for. Yet another government lie!

Old September 1st 05, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Dew

"Diane Epps" wrote in message
. uk...

wrote:

I recently crossed the Dartford bridge with a caravan at about 3.30am.,
travelling overnight from Lancashire to Dover. The sign stated the prices
for a
night time crossing - Motorbikes free; all other vehicles, including HGVs
1.00.
I was very surprised to be asked for 2.00 at the toll both. I
questionned this
and was told it was because I was towing a trailer. Why then are full
artic HGVs
not charged 2.00 also, as they are also a tow / trailer combination?

I remember the bridge being built and charges were only going to last
until the bridge was paid for. Yet another government lie!

A 'lie' is a big word; a false statement made with the intention of
deceiving. If you make a promise and circumstances force you to break that
promise then that is not a 'lie'. It may be a broken promise but as our
children and grandchildren keep reminding me that happens to the best of us
:-) There have been many times in my life when I have been unable to keep
promises. Why should goverments be any different.

Anyhow, I have no recollection of any promises made about the Dartford
Bridge so I cannot discuss the specifics of this topic.

Regards.

Dave.

Old September 1st 05, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
G. String

"David Dew" wrote in message

"Diane Epps" wrote in message
. uk...

[...]