sky tv

Old September 2nd 05, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
kwigley

Default sky tv

I have just brought a satfinder from lidl (very cheap) and have yet to
attempt to set my system up my question is can the satfinder stay connected
when viewing sky or must it be removed after finding the satellite thanks in
advance

Old September 2nd 05, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
mindwipe

"kwigley" wrote in message
I have just brought a satfinder from lidl (very cheap) and have yet to
attempt to set my system up my question is can the satfinder stay
connected when viewing sky or must it be removed after finding the
satellite thanks in advance

not an expert but i would have thought you could leave it connected
if in doubt just try it n see

Old September 2nd 05, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy

I fing that I use the sat finder near the dish and not near the internal
receiver.

Therefore once you have it set up it is best removed.

Andy E

Old September 3rd 05, 12:24 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bill

In message , kwigley
writes
I have just brought a satfinder from lidl (very cheap) and have yet to
attempt to set my system up my question is can the satfinder stay connected
when viewing sky or must it be removed after finding the satellite thanks in
advance

They're supposed to be disconnected after use.

To tell the truth I don't use them anymore a far easier way is to set
your dish for the correct perpendicular angle, around 21/ 22 degrees or
so, depending on where you are in the UK. Using a compass point the
dish more or less to the south. Then get your wife or companion to
switch on the tv and satellite receiver, press services on the remote,
then system set up, then signal test. This will give a screen showing
signal strength, signal quality, lock indicator, network id and
transport stream. Initially they'll all be blank, you should then
slowly swing the dish towards the east. With your partner in the van
watching the screen the first movement will be the signal strength
indicator, next the lock indicator should show OK and the network ID
will show 0002 and the transport stream 07d4. That indicates you've
locked on to the astra satellite then it's just a case of fine tuning to
bring the signal strength and quality indicators up to the best level
you can manage.

It's honestly far easier in practice than my written description sounds.
Once you've done it a few times it will be easy peasy and you can line
up your dish to 160 degrees compass, before starting, which is near
enough the correct direction, bearing in mind compass variation, for the
astra satellite and with luck everything will be set up within a few
seconds.

HTH
--
Bill

Old September 3rd 05, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Martin Edwards

[...]

Yup I agree. I'm a bit of a dish nerd and have 2 decoders in the house
pointed at different sattelites. The LIDL job is handy when your at the top
of a ladder but you could come down to find that you have perfectly tuned
into a greek sat with no English progs on it!! There are about 20 sats up
there. If you speak any other languages than English then you can save a
packet by enjoying all the same programs/movies etc in the other languages
for free!!

Old September 3rd 05, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
BOTTLE

Liddle also sold or were selling a direction finder, when put in line it
told / tells you where the best signal is comming from, thus enabling you to
position the dish correctly