Suspension in avondale

Old September 3rd 05, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Martin Edwards

Default Suspension in avondale

I have an Avondale Leda Malvern of '89 vintage.

It seems very low to the ground and I suspect that the suspension is a bit
tired. How big/expensive a job would it be to replace the suspension units?

Or would it be cheaper to buy a box of matches...............?

Old September 3rd 05, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 16:47:02 +0100, "Martin Edwards"
wrote:

I have an Avondale Leda Malvern of '89 vintage.

It seems very low to the ground and I suspect that the suspension is a bit
tired. How big/expensive a job would it be to replace the suspension units?

Or would it be cheaper to buy a box of matches...............?

Is it a Rubber in Torsion type on an Al-Ko? If so you may be able to
get replacement units, on newer vans I think you have to replace the
axle.

Box of matches by far the cheapest.

Lenny

Old September 5th 05, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Thornber

In message , Martin Edwards
writes
I have an Avondale Leda Malvern of '89 vintage.

It seems very low to the ground and I suspect that the suspension is a bit
tired. How big/expensive a job would it be to replace the suspension units?

Some caravans of that era do sit very low: Our '91 Swift Corniche was a
prime example: It sat so low that it caused problems putting the wheel
clamp on. But the Swifts of that era were notorious for it, and I was
lucky enough to know someone who'd had the same model from new, and
theirs had always been like that. If possible, compare the ride height
of your 'van with a similar model.

If it does naturally ride low, then that may be an indicator that you
have the dreaded Syspal aluminium chassis. I don't know about Avondale,
but Swift experimented with this abomination in the late 80's to early
90's, and we got saddled with one on the Corniche. It still uses the
Al-Ko axle, so don't be surprised to see 'Al-Ko' stamped here and there,
but if the chassis members are solid (rather than having a number of
large holes through them to reduce the weight) then you've drawn the
short straw. If you do have one of these, then get underneath and have
a good look at the point where the chassis members start to converge to
form the A-frame. The bends are cut and welded, and the aluminium
starts to crack along the weld through metal fatigue. Left unattended,
your A-frame eventually separates from the rest of the 'van at a most
inconvenient moment - in fact I've seen at least two caravans stranded
in exactly this situation. I was lucky enough to spot ours early (the
cracks were a few mm long on each side) and I got reinforcing plates
made up and fitted. I believe they can also develop cracks around the
coupling head area and axle mounting points, though ours didn't appear
to suffer in these areas.

If the axle does need replacing, then your idea with the matches might
not be a bad one. I'd expect this to render a 'van of this age 'beyond
economic repair' if you're looking to have it done at a dealer, though I
don't think it's beyond DIY'ing if you can find the correct replacement
axle from a scrappy's.
--
David Thornber