Dartmoor recreational users

Old September 4th 05, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dez

Default Dartmoor recreational users

Guys/Gals,

Noticed this on:
http://www.dartmoor-npa.gov.uk/

"...If you live on Dartmoor, or visit it regularly, you may have noticed
that more and more tracks are visible in the landscape - especially
radiating from car parks and leading up to tors..."

Isn't it also a case that the Dartmoor moorland is there also for the
people to enjoy. As someone who has just come back from this area, I think
the Authority is making more of this issue than is actually warranted.

They only actually provide 3 examples on their website, at even the examples
they give do not look that bad to me. It surely would be worse if foot
tracks were being opened up from the main stream walking areas, they don't
provide evidence of this happening.

Des
www.Mckeller.com

Old September 5th 05, 06:52 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 11:53:05 GMT, "Dez" wrote:

| Noticed this on:
| http://www.dartmoor-npa.gov.uk/
|
| "...If you live on Dartmoor, or visit it regularly, you may have noticed
| that more and more tracks are visible in the landscape - especially
| radiating from car parks and leading up to tors..."

That is *not* what the URL says I quote:

Dartmoor was designated one of the National Parks of England and Wales in
1951. It is a beautiful moorland landscape with wooded valleys and wind
swept Tors. 368 square miles (953 sq. km.) in area, with about 33,000
people living in it, and where about 10 million visits are made each year.
All the land is owned by someone and the public is able to roam freely on
unenclosed, open moorland on both foot and horseback. There are also about
600 miles (966 km) of public rights of way. Dartmoor is a rich habitat for
wildlife and has a wealth of archaeological remains.

It also provides a link to a quite reasonable page on Open Access Laws.

| Isn't it also a case that the Dartmoor moorland is there also for the
| people to enjoy. As someone who has just come back from this area, I think
| the Authority is making more of this issue than is actually warranted.
|
| They only actually provide 3 examples on their website, at even the examples
| they give do not look that bad to me. It surely would be worse if foot
| tracks were being opened up from the main stream walking areas, they don't
| provide evidence of this happening.

I have this summer spent quite a lot of time on the Northern bit of
Rombalds Moor which has been Open Access for some years, by agreement with
Bradford Council. Now covered by the new Legislation. I have used this
Open Access to the limit, following gps bearings.

I noted that the effect of this Open Access has been minimal. The number
of paths has increased by a factor of between 5 and 10, many following the
old sheep tracks. The *vast* majority of visitors, at least 90% follow
these paths exclusively. Only a tiny proportion maybe 1% walk across the
open moor, because it is quite tricky walking through chest high bracken,
knee high heather, knee deep bogs, large holes some water filled etc. In
fact when walking towards a GPS location, I take a path going in the right
direction, until I have to strike off at roughly right angles. Anything
else is just too much effort

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
"Intelligent Design?" my knees say *not*.
Old September 5th 05, 06:52 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old September 5th 05, 07:27 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

Dave Fawthrop wrote in
:

| "...If you live on Dartmoor, or visit it regularly, you may have noticed
| that more and more tracks are visible in the landscape - especially
| radiating from car parks and leading up to tors..."

That is *not* what the URL says I quote:

FWIW, I had to search the site to find the quoted text, which you can see
at http://www.dartmoor-npa.gov.uk/dnp/m...e/welcome2.htm

However, this seems more a plea for visitors to act responsibly than a call
to restrict access. You can see the "guidelines" on their "Moor Care" page:
http://www.dartmoor-npa.gov.uk/dnp/moorcare/care2.htm

HTH,

--
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK
Old September 5th 05, 07:27 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

Dave Fawthrop wrote in
:

Old September 5th 05, 07:36 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dez

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 11:53:05 GMT, "Dez" wrote:

| Noticed this on:
| http://www.dartmoor-npa.gov.uk/
|
| "...If you live on Dartmoor, or visit it regularly, you may have noticed
| that more and more tracks are visible in the landscape - especially
| radiating from car parks and leading up to tors..."

That is *not* what the URL says I quote:

(snipped)

Er, Mr Fawthrop, it *is* what the url says.
Click on "Moor Care" (same url) to the left of the page you land on and see
for yourself.

Des
www.McKeller.com

Old September 5th 05, 07:36 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dez

Old September 5th 05, 07:39 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dez

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
Dave Fawthrop wrote in
:

| "...If you live on Dartmoor, or visit it regularly, you may have

noticed
| that more and more tracks are visible in the landscape - especially
| radiating from car parks and leading up to tors..."

That is *not* what the URL says I quote:

FWIW, I had to search the site to find the quoted text, which you can see
at http://www.dartmoor-npa.gov.uk/dnp/m...e/welcome2.htm

However, this seems more a plea for visitors to act responsibly than a

call
to restrict access. You can see the "guidelines" on their "Moor Care"

page:
http://www.dartmoor-npa.gov.uk/dnp/moorcare/care2.htm

HTH,

--
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK

Reading on other web sites, it seems that the military using Dartmoor cause
far more erosion damage, driving vehicles and firing than the general public
ever can by simply walking. Common sense.

Des
www.McKeller.com

Old September 5th 05, 07:39 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dez

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
Dave Fawthrop wrote in
:

Old September 5th 05, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

"Dez" wrote in
:

Reading on other web sites, it seems that the military using Dartmoor
cause far more erosion damage, driving vehicles and firing than the
general public ever can by simply walking. Common sense.

FWIW, the military claim that their activities help conserve the moor, not
destroy it. http://www.dartmoorsociety.com/debate.military.htm contains
some information.

AFAICT, unlike Salisbury Plain, their driving is mainly over access roads
and live-firing exercises are on foot (at least, that seems to be so on the
Merrivale Range). AIUI, the moor is unsuitable for heavy vehicles, such as
tanks, and the military wouldn't want to use it for mechanised exercises
even if they could.

--
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK