OT Insurance and Sheds etc.

Old September 5th 05, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Default OT Insurance and Sheds etc.

OT ye, but we talk here a lot about insurence and DIY.
Just got a garden shed and I know insurence companies like coach bolts to
hold hinges and lock fittings. They do not like screws as the bad people can
remove them. My question is the maker used screws and I was going to
replace with coach bolts. Now the maker has deformed the screw slots so I
can't remove them with my flat screw driver. Can they be got out by me? Is
this sort of system OK with Insurence companies if I leave them in?
Thanks

Old September 5th 05, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Christian McArdle

Can they be got out by me?

You can get removal bits.

These consist of a left handed thread hardened screw, with some sort of
drive mechanism (i.e. a screwdriver slot, or hex drive for a cordless
drill). You simply drill a small pilot hole into the offending
screw/bolt/stud. Then insert the removal bit and twist it anti-clockwise.
The thread, being opposite, bites into the pilot hole and eventually takes
the screw/bolt/stud with it.

Is this sort of system OK with Insurence companies if I leave them in?

Check your policy. Some don't cover your shed at all. Consider other
security measures too, such as hinge bolts (so it doesn't matter if the
hinges are removed) and proper locks. The shed manufacturers generally
install a lock that could be picked by an incontinent squirrel. You may need
to improvise the hinge bolts, as most shed doors have insufficient depth to
install standard morticed versions. Windows are a major problem. The thin
single glass is no security at all. Consider fitting bars.

Christian.

Old September 5th 05, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 13:26:45 GMT, "David"
wrote:

OT ye, but we talk here a lot about insurence and DIY.
Just got a garden shed and I know insurence companies like coach bolts to
hold hinges and lock fittings. They do not like screws as the bad people can
remove them. My question is the maker used screws and I was going to
replace with coach bolts. Now the maker has deformed the screw slots so I
can't remove them with my flat screw driver. Can they be got out by me? Is
this sort of system OK with Insurence companies if I leave them in?

Get a drill bit that is the same size as the screw head and drill the
haeads off the screws, pull the hinges off the door leaving a small
piece of screw showing and then use a pair of mole grips to grab the
screws and turn them out.
As far as this sort of thing being acceptable to Insurance companies
the only way to find out is to ask your insurance company.

(remove the spam to reply)