Hairline crack in fibreglass panel - easy repair??

« - | - »

Old August 14th 03, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Simon Hawthorne

Default Hairline crack in fibreglass panel - easy repair??

Hi
I have managed to put a small crack in the fibreglass front panel of
my new van by using my fat backside trying to push the van (didn't
want to pull to hard on the handles at the back for fear of damage).
It only appears to be the top layer of varnish - not the actual
structure of the panel. Is there anyway I can 'seal' this hairline
crack so it doesn't become any worse....?
Thanks in advance
Simon
Old August 14th 03, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
LunnBelleyetere

look up car bumper repairers or car body repairs in the yellow pages the can
usually repair damaged plastics and vinyl by welding it back together. I think
it is some thing they should beable to do.
Old August 15th 03, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Simon Hawthorne

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 10:30:08 +0100, Andy Luckman
wrote:

The damage you can see is in the gelcoat, but will actually be more
extensive. Can you get a bright light behind the panel? If so you will be
able to see the damage as a lighter area.

Thanks for your reply - it really has only cracked the top coat of
varnish - there seems to be no damage to the 'body' of the panel.....
and it doesn't seem weaker in anyway. I really just wanted somehting
like a coat of that clear nail varnish stuff to 'seal' the crack - if
you know what I mean.....

Si

Old August 16th 03, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy Luckman

In article , Simon Hawthorne
wrote:

The damage you can see is in the gelcoat, but will actually be more
extensive. Can you get a bright light behind the panel? If so you will be
able to see the damage as a lighter area.

Thanks for your reply - it really has only cracked the top coat of
varnish - there seems to be no damage to the 'body' of the panel.....
and it doesn't seem weaker in anyway.

That's why I am telling you that the damage IS more extensive. The bright
light behind the panel will show you the extent of that damage. For a quick
cosmetic repair you could just grind out the gelcoat and fill, but it will
come back within weeks as the weakened panel flexes.

To cover it as you wish, use resin, but I guarantee it will be VERY
temporary!

--
AJL Electronics (G6FGO) : Satellite and TV aerial systems

Old August 16th 03, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Simon Hawthorne

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 09:02:02 +0100, Andy Luckman
wrote:

The bright
light behind the panel will show you the extent of that damage

I'll have a look at it next week Andy....
Thanks
Si

Old August 19th 03, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Simon Hawthorne

Hi Andy
Had a good look last night - there really is no damage at all - the
torch didn't show anything hidden - honestly! Just the very faintest
of cracks in the outer surface - it is right on a corner where the
fibreglass seems thicker than on the rest of the panel........
Any further thoughts sir?
Thanks again
Simon
Old August 20th 03, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy Luckman

In article , Simon Hawthorne
wrote:

Had a good look last night - there really is no damage at all - the
torch didn't show anything hidden - honestly!

May not have been bright enough, but if you want to try a gelcoat repair,
mix some resin and use a fine paintbrush to seal the crack. If it is a
scratch rather than a crack then it will do, but as you told us that it was
the result of the panel being pushed in, I have my doubts. Can't do any
harm to try it though.

I would imagine that the crack will lengthen and open up in time, showing
that the damage is more extensive. Naturally, the panel took on its original
shape after the stress, so the problem remains relatively hidden unless you
know what to look for.

Just the very faintest
of cracks in the outer surface - it is right on a corner where the
fibreglass seems thicker than on the rest of the panel........

Seal it for now with a little resin and keep an eye on it. It may be stable
enough. Otherwise it will have to be ground out and refinished. The URL
that "Lex M" gave you in another article seems useful, but bear in mind that
they are referring to self colour gelcoat and not a paint finish.