Bottled gas(propane)

Old September 5th 05, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ben

Default Bottled gas(propane)

Hi could anyone please answer this question for me.

If I purchase a bottle of 4.5kilos of propane gas is this the full weight
of the bottle&gas together or is it the weight of the empty bottle?

how do I know I'm not getting ripped of buy the filling vendor?

Many thanks.

Old September 5th 05, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

If I purchase a bottle of 4.5kilos of propane gas is this the full weight
of the bottle&gas together or is it the weight of the empty bottle?

Approx weight of gas.
The weight of the bottle is stamped on a plate on the collar.
Bottles cannot be completely filled (usually about two thirds full).
I tend to believe that Calor are accurate, bit suspicious about some of
those small outfits that fill from a bulk tank in a compound back of the
railway yard.
DaveK.

Old September 5th 05, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ben

davek wrote:
If I purchase a bottle of 4.5kilos of propane gas is this the full
weight of the bottle&gas together or is it the weight of the empty
bottle?

Approx weight of gas.
The weight of the bottle is stamped on a plate on the collar.
Bottles cannot be completely filled (usually about two thirds full).
I tend to believe that Calor are accurate, bit suspicious about some
of those small outfits that fill from a bulk tank in a compound back
of the railway yard.
DaveK.

Hi Dave so there is no way of telling truthfully how much is really in the
bottle?

Thanks for response.

Old September 5th 05, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

"ben" wrote in news:zv3Te.103177$G8.67065
@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

so there is no way of telling truthfully how much is really in the
bottle?

The bottle should have its tare weight stamped on it. So, in theory, you
can weigh the bottle to get the gross weight and subtract the tare weight
from that to get the weight of propane.

HTH,

--
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK

Old September 5th 05, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 22:19:11 GMT, "ben" wrote:

Hi Dave so there is no way of telling truthfully how much is really in the
bottle?

Each bottle must have a label that gives it's tare weight ( It's
weight empty ) if you weigh the full bottle and subtract the tare then
you get how much gas there is in the bottle. Never bothered myself,
I've always trusted to calor.

(remove the spam to reply)

Old September 5th 05, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

Hi Dave so there is no way of telling truthfully how much is really in the
bottle?

Accurate scales would be near enough. I think we'd be more interested in how
much is left, so you could note the weight of the newly purchased bottle,eg:
10kgs-where the bottle weighs 4kg so you know you have 6kg of gas.
In thirty years caravanning it's never bothered us. Have two (or more)
bottles so you can changeover.
DaveK.