A9 lay bys

Old September 8th 05, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Rooney

Default A9 lay bys

Bit of a long shot, but does anyone happen to know the numbers of any
of the 'off road' lay bys on the north bound A9 - the ones that allow
you to get right off the road rather than just beside it? Knowing the
number in advance makes things a bit easier when it's dark.
I slept at one the other week but forgot to note the number.
--

Paul
Old September 8th 05, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.caravanning
Conor

In article , Paul Rooney
says...
Bit of a long shot, but does anyone happen to know the numbers of any
of the 'off road' lay bys on the north bound A9 - the ones that allow
you to get right off the road rather than just beside it? Knowing the
number in advance makes things a bit easier when it's dark.
I slept at one the other week but forgot to note the number.

They put numbers on laybys?

--
Conor

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
Star Trek? Good Lord!" - Patrick Stewart, Extras.

Old September 8th 05, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.caravanning
David Taylor

Conor wrote on Thu, 8 Sep 2005 23:38:35 +0100:
In article , Paul Rooney
says...
Bit of a long shot, but does anyone happen to know the numbers of any
of the 'off road' lay bys on the north bound A9 - the ones that allow
you to get right off the road rather than just beside it? Knowing the
number in advance makes things a bit easier when it's dark.
I slept at one the other week but forgot to note the number.

They put numbers on laybys?

You've never been up the A9 then?

But to answer your question, yes. Only North of Perth, though.

--
David Taylor

Old September 9th 05, 06:47 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.caravanning
Mark Hewitt

"Conor" wrote in message
t...
In article , Paul Rooney
says...
Bit of a long shot, but does anyone happen to know the numbers of any
of the 'off road' lay bys on the north bound A9 - the ones that allow
you to get right off the road rather than just beside it? Knowing the
number in advance makes things a bit easier when it's dark.
I slept at one the other week but forgot to note the number.

They put numbers on laybys?

Never driven on the A9?
As soon as you leave Perth they start numbering the laybys. There is a sign
on entry and another sign in the middle of the layby. They reach at least up
to Inverness.

A very useful feature IMO.

Old September 9th 05, 06:47 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.caravanning
Mark Hewitt

"Conor" wrote in message
t...
In article , Paul Rooney
says...

Old September 9th 05, 07:25 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.caravanning
Brimstone

Conor wrote:
In article , Paul Rooney
says...
Bit of a long shot, but does anyone happen to know the numbers of any
of the 'off road' lay bys on the north bound A9 - the ones that allow
you to get right off the road rather than just beside it? Knowing the
number in advance makes things a bit easier when it's dark.
I slept at one the other week but forgot to note the number.

They put numbers on laybys?

So, contrary to popular mythology, Conor *hasn't* driven on every road in
the UK.

Old September 9th 05, 07:25 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.caravanning
Brimstone

Conor wrote:
In article , Paul Rooney
says...

Old September 9th 05, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Rooney

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 07:47:22 +0100, "Mark Hewitt"
wrote:

"Conor" wrote in message
et...
In article , Paul Rooney
says...
Bit of a long shot, but does anyone happen to know the numbers of any
of the 'off road' lay bys on the north bound A9 - the ones that allow
you to get right off the road rather than just beside it? Knowing the
number in advance makes things a bit easier when it's dark.
I slept at one the other week but forgot to note the number.

They put numbers on laybys?

Never driven on the A9?
As soon as you leave Perth they start numbering the laybys. There is a sign
on entry and another sign in the middle of the layby. They reach at least up
to Inverness.

A very useful feature IMO.

Even more useful if they are marked on a map. They probably are mapped
somewhere, but not on any of my maps. If it's dark, slowing down to
check which ones are off the road isn't a sensible option, as one of
Conor's mates will be right up me. And the on-road ones aren't that
good for a couple of hours sleep, as said mates shake you to bits
every time they pass!

"I always knew the entire Green party were nutters" - Ken Livingstone