Satellite in spain

Old September 11th 05, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mark

Default Satellite in spain

Just come back from Spain.
Stayed at Camping Vilanova about 1 hour south of Barcelona.
I took an 80cm sat dish but could get no Satellite reception. I think this
was due to trees etc, as I couldn't get a clear shot of the sky. However,
there were many Dutch and Germans that had a small dish that where pointing
at dense tree coverage (worse than mine pitch) but still got a picture, how
come?
I know the uk sat beam is aimed at the uk to stop people from other
countries receiving it, but they use a much smaller dish and dont need a
clean shot of the sky!!!
Is the dutch/german sat signal more powerful than ours?

Mark

Old September 11th 05, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stephen Glynn

"Mark" wrote in message
Just come back from Spain.
Stayed at Camping Vilanova about 1 hour south of Barcelona.
I took an 80cm sat dish but could get no Satellite reception. I think this
was due to trees etc, as I couldn't get a clear shot of the sky. However,
there were many Dutch and Germans that had a small dish that where
pointing at dense tree coverage (worse than mine pitch) but still got a
picture, how come?
I know the uk sat beam is aimed at the uk to stop people from other
countries receiving it, but they use a much smaller dish and dont need a
clean shot of the sky!!!
Is the dutch/german sat signal more powerful than ours?

Mark

Mark,

I know Sky don't have a deal with Spain for a satellite link as my parents
who live on the Costa del Sol have a huge dish to get the signal from the
satellite that points at Morocco. What I couldn't understand initially is
how they got it to work at all as I thought it had to work through a UK
phone line, it seems that they have this 'magic box' from the digibox to the
phoneline that makes the link from Sky think it is linked to a UK landline,
then all they need is a UK address to send the bills to, though they cant
get pay per view or interactive but can still get Sky Sports and Sky Movie
channels, quite ingenious really.

Steve.

Old September 11th 05, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
andy

In message , Mark
muttered:
a small dish that where pointing
at dense tree coverage (worse than mine pitch) but still got a picture, how
come?

Grandma, suck eggs? Anyway, often sat dishes are offset - they don't
point where they appear to. $ky dishes are considerably offset, they're
actually pointing far higher than they appear to be.

--
Andy

Old September 13th 05, 06:38 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Bradbury

Mark,

were you set for Astra 2 North or Astra 2 South. The further South you
go the North (the one we use here) has a weaker footprint.

Only problem is that South does not give all the programmes we enjoy
here!

In message , Mark
writes

Old September 15th 05, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lofty

Whilst on the Costa del Sol I used a dish of 110cm and got a good picture,
the dish you are using is not big enough,
the dutch and germans are on a different satellite