Sunncamp awnings

Old September 11th 05, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Richards

Default Sunncamp awnings

Yesterday I bought a Sunncamp Scenic+ awning from Harringtons in the
Delamere Forest, special offer 126.99. When I got it back to my van,
fortunately 10 min's away and opened the bag the first thing I noticed
was very bad marking on the clear front window. I partially unpacked
it to see if it was just dust or similar but what ever it was it
wouldn't come off. So back to Harringtons. As soon as I started to
tell the salesman the problem he interrupted me and described the
fault perfectly. He said he'd had the same problem with one about two
weeks ago. He exchanged the awning immediately with no messing about.
He and I checked the new one, which appeared to be OK. On getting back
to my 'van and erecting the awning, took about 10 minutes, I noticed
that one of the toggles that are used to hold the blind up on one of
the side windows was missing and the loop for the toggle on the front
door was sewn to the awning seam. I didn't return this one as I
figured I could sort out these faults in a couple of minutes.
The thing is, are these faults or similar common with this make/type
of awning, are they working down to a price to get a foothold in the
awning market, or is it just down to bad quality control.
The moral of this tale if you like is if you are buying this type of
awning give it a good checking over before leaving the salesroom.
I am, notwithstanding the above faults/problems very pleased with my
purchase. It is very light compared to a canvas awning, is easily and
quickly erected and a third of the price of a conventional porch
awning and actually has a greater floor area than my previous porch
awning. If the makers can iron out what may be teething troubles I
feel that they may well have hit upon a real money spinner as I have
noticed quite a number of this type of awning recently,
--
John Richards M41
Old September 11th 05, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

I bought one in March and am extremely well pleased with it; I must have
been lucky as we have found no faults in it.
Let me just add that in a very strong wind in France the horizontal thrust
pole did scratch the paint on the caravan despite it having a padded socket.
I now fit foam rubber cushioning at the 2 points where that pole pushes
against the caravan.
I sent an email to Sunncamp and suggested that they fit an extra pad of come
sort in the pocket that lies just inside the padded sockets but had no
reply.

Old September 12th 05, 06:32 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Richards

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 21:18:40 +0100, "Stewart"
wrote:

I now fit foam rubber cushioning at the 2 points where that pole pushes
against the caravan.
I sent an email to Sunncamp and suggested that they fit an extra pad of come
sort in the pocket that lies just inside the padded sockets but had no
reply.

Did you push it into the pocket or attach it some other way,
forewarned is forearmed, as they say.
--
John Richards M41

Old September 12th 05, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

I am using a block of foam, approx. 70mm dia. and 30mm thick; I just place
it between the caravan wall and the pocket. Ideally it would be attached to
the awning in some way.

Old September 12th 05, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ian

"John Richards" wrote in message

snip
The thing is, are these faults or similar common with this make/type
of awning, are they working down to a price to get a foothold in the
awning market, or is it just down to bad quality control.

Probably Q.C., possibly both. I bought the Contempo model in July and
noticed that one of the guy lines was only attached to one loop instead of
the two that it is supposed to be attached to - easily sorted, but a further
indication that attention to detail may not be their strong point. Otherwise
I am very happy with it.

more sniping
It is very light compared to a canvas awning, is easily and
quickly erected and a third of the price of a conventional porch
awning and actually has a greater floor area than my previous porch
awning. If the makers can iron out what may be teething troubles I
feel that they may well have hit upon a real money spinner as I have
noticed quite a number of this type of awning recently,

The Contempo, also very light gives nearly 9 sq m of floorspace and allows
me to put front side window, awning light and door all in the awning,
something that the Scenic wouldn't allow as my awning light is in between
the window and door. I would have to cover either light or window with the
front edge of the awning with either Scenic or Scenic Plus.

Incidentally my awning is branded Starcamp, and I have seen 2 of the same
style awnings withother brand names , wether they are all made by the same
company I don't know.
--
Ian B
Please reply to NG