bulldog 400q stabilisers

Old September 14th 05, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
sefield

Default bulldog 400q stabilisers

Does anybody know if I can use a pair of bulldog 200q stabilisers in
place of a 400q set? I have recently acquired a large trailer which has
the trailer mountings for a bulldog 400q but these do not come up very
often on ebay, so am thinking of using two 200q's and buying the car
mounting plate for a 400q. can anybody verify if the arms and car
mounting lugs are the same dimensions on both models please?

Old September 14th 05, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

sefield came up with the following;:
Does anybody know if I can use a pair of bulldog 200q stabilisers in
place of a 400q set? I have recently acquired a large trailer which has
the trailer mountings for a bulldog 400q but these do not come up very
often on ebay, so am thinking of using two 200q's and buying the car
mounting plate for a 400q. can anybody verify if the arms and car
mounting lugs are the same dimensions on both models please?

If something needs two stabilisers, then I'd say it's a pretty unstable unit
and shouldn't be on the road.

I'd try towing without a stabiliser on and see how it handles. Empty first,
then with whatever you'd usually carry. All stabilisers do, IMHO, is move
the goalposts slightly, they don't correct inherent instability.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Old September 15th 05, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
sefield

I am in full agreement with you but i didn't explain fully the setup.
This is an exhibition trailer is 21' long twin axle towed by a
discovery. It is prone to being buffeted by lorries because of the
large side area and the discovery having a rather long tail end.
Neither of these factors can be altered easily but adding damping to
the system will lessen the problem.

A further benefit may be achieved if towing speed rises to nearer
"lorry speed" as fewer lorries will be overtaking and when they do the
differential speed will be reduced.
I realise that the wind pressure from the overtaking lorries will
remain the same but as the change from "having the back end of the
trailer being pushed one way to the front end being pushed the other"
will be less sudden at higher speed. This will also alter the dynamics
of the system but only time will tell if it does so beneficially!

Old September 15th 05, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

sefield came up with the following;:
I am in full agreement with you but i didn't explain fully the setup.
This is an exhibition trailer is 21' long twin axle towed by a
discovery.

So only a foot or so longer than my caravan, though you have the added
stability of twin wheels. I guess the weight is a bit heavier than my 'van
though, but my 'van has no stabilisers and I don't get any 'real' buffeting
unless I'm doing over 70 mph, which is rare. Carefaul loading, weight
distribution and a session on a local weighbridge can help set the
caravan/trailer up so that it tows safely at any reasonable speed,
especially if it carrying roughly the same/similar equipment every trip.

It is prone to being buffeted by lorries

How do you know, you've only just acquired it? As I said earlier, maybe a
few trial runs might help.

adding damping to the system will lessen the problem.

Not necessarily, and especially not if the damping is incorrect or applied
wrongly. In some cases adding a damper can actually exascerbate the
problem, especially if too much damping is added.

A further benefit may be achieved if towing speed rises to nearer
"lorry speed" as fewer lorries will be overtaking and when they do the
differential speed will be reduced.

Why can't you tow at lorry speeds now?

--
Paul ...