Land Rover Freelander TD4 engine logevity

Old September 17th 05, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

Default Land Rover Freelander TD4 engine logevity

I'm not really familiar with diesel engines.

In general what sort of 'life time' mileage would you expect to get from the
2.0L Turbo Diesel fitted to the Land Rover Freelander ?

In general do they have a longer life than a petrol engine?

Richard

Old September 17th 05, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Rooney

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 16:47:00 +0000 (UTC), "Richard"
wrote:

I'm not really familiar with diesel engines.

In general what sort of 'life time' mileage would you expect to get from the
2.0L Turbo Diesel fitted to the Land Rover Freelander ?

A lot less than its Japanese rivals (-:

In general do they have a longer life than a petrol engine?

Yes, usually a good deal longer.

"I always knew the entire Green party were nutters" - Ken Livingstone

Old September 18th 05, 12:47 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter K L Milnes

If serviced regularly and looked after you should expect around 500,000miles
before it needs attention. There are now going to be a lot of people posting
about their traumatic problems with diesel engined towing vehicles, but as
far as you should be aware they are talking out of their backsides as they
obviously haven't a clue as to the different treatment required.

Oh, I run a turbodiesel towcar for all my driving needs.

All the best, Peter.

Old September 18th 05, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Keith Dunbar \(2\)

I always thought that another factor was that diesel fuel by its very nature
is inherently a lubricant whereas petrol has little or no lubrication
property so a diesel engine generally is better lubricated and therefore
wears less.

Keith

"nightjar .uk.com" [email protected] my surname here wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
I'm arguing with your Dave.

ALL diesel engines have a longer life than petrol engines because they
work
by compression rather than combustion therefore less long term engine
wear.

Compression is the way of creating combustion in a diesel engine. However,
it is relevant to engine life as a compression ignition engine is usually
more strongly built than a spark ignition engine. A more important factor
is that, because of the different power curves, petrol engines are
normally run at higher revs than diesel engines, which produces more wear.
These are, however, generalisations and, like all generalisations, there
are exceptions. For example, in light aircraft, the modern diesel engines
are lightly built, to keep weight down, while petrol engines rarely run at
above 2,500 rpm and more usually are run at under 2,000 rpm.

Colin Bignell

Old September 18th 05, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
G. String

"Peter K L Milnes" wrote in message
If serviced regularly and looked after you should expect around
500,000miles before it needs attention. There are now going to be a lot of
people posting about their traumatic problems with diesel engined towing
vehicles, but as far as you should be aware they are talking out of their
backsides as they obviously haven't a clue as to the different treatment
required.

Oh, I run a turbodiesel towcar for all my driving needs.

All the best, Peter.

_________________________________

At last, a good informative thread that I found really interesting...thank
you all.

GS

Old September 18th 05, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

"Richard" wrote in message
I'm not really familiar with diesel engines.

In general what sort of 'life time' mileage would you expect to get from
the 2.0L Turbo Diesel fitted to the Land Rover Freelander ?

In general do they have a longer life than a petrol engine?

Richard

Thanks for replies that was very useful. I understand the Diesel
Freelander's are now fitted with the BMW 2.0L TD so (and have been pretty
much since they acquired Land Rover) which I would imagine is a good unit
anyway. Anyway I rest assured that 75k miles isn't an awful lot for such a
unit.

Richard