Hitchlock

Old September 17th 05, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lofty

Default Hitchlock

Hi all,
I recently purchased a new van, and also new car to pull it with. the
caravan is fitted with an Alco hitch combined
with stabilizer. The towball on my car is also a Alco one. I am having great
difficulty getting the hitch over the ball
it seems as if it has to be lined up together spot on before the hitch goes
over the ball. I also have probs uncoulpling the hitch
also. Is it me or do other people have this trouble or is there a simple
answer to my problem? my previous hitch slid on from any angle
but it wasn't an Alco
Help would be much appreciated
Thanks in advance
lofty

Old September 17th 05, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Joe Taylor

"Lofty" wrote in message
Hi all,
I recently purchased a new van, and also new car to pull it with. the
caravan is fitted with an Alco hitch combined
with stabilizer. The towball on my car is also a Alco one. I am having

great
difficulty getting the hitch over the ball
it seems as if it has to be lined up together spot on before the hitch

goes
over the ball. I also have probs uncoulpling the hitch
also. Is it me or do other people have this trouble or is there a simple
answer to my problem? my previous hitch slid on from any angle
but it wasn't an Alco
Help would be much appreciated
Thanks in advance
lofty

I bought a new van last year and I had real trouble uncoupling.

Eventually I found the answer, the drawbar has to be in centre of its
travel.
if you have been reversing the drawbar is fully retracted and is pushing
forward thus hooking under the back of the ball.
The opposite is true if the drawbar is fully extended. Hope this helps
When coupling up it is sometimes difficult to raise the small handle to the
vertical position thus stopping the coupling from dropping on the ball
Joe