Man, what is with my cooker?!?!??!?!

Old August 14th 03, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Will Hay

Default Man, what is with my cooker?!?!??!?!

I have a circa. 1988 ABI Ace Courier with an oven and grill.
The grill is fine but can I bugger get the oven to work anymore.
I've had the caravan two years (it's my first) and I know the cooker works
as we used it last year, but last weekend was our first attempt at using it
again this year and like I say, would it hella's like work!!!
I just can't remember how we got it working
It's rather simple, all it has is a gas knob and a red button.
I've tried allsorts including holding in the red button and holding the gas
turn knob for a while (while my wife held the lighted match LOL!) but to no
avail.
Anyone familiar with these types of oven's?
Thanks,
Will

Old August 14th 03, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Saunders

Try opening the door before you light the oven. Sometimes keeping the door
closed stops the igniter from working.

Old August 14th 03, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Will Hay

Try opening the door before you light the oven. Sometimes keeping the door
closed stops the igniter from working.

Thanks, but now I think about it I never tried it with the door closed )
Will

Old August 15th 03, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Arc Systems

Is it the built in 'eye' level oven with glass doors and a steel rod to stop
them coming open when on the move?.
If it is then you should have a round burner in the base of the oven, and
its just about the worst one ever made.
The burner should light if you turn the gas knob to full and hold in. The
red button provides the spark, when repeatedly pressed. The burner suffers
from age, as it wears the flame pattern changes, so that all you get are
fingers of flame from each hole with nothing between. At this stage you will
also find only some of the fingers are lit and you need to 'blow' on them to
spread the flame around the burner.If the finger that plays on the
thermocouple is missing then it will not stay lit. I hope this all sounds
familiar. There is a repair, but no spares are available.

Old August 15th 03, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Will Hay

Is it the built in 'eye' level oven with glass doors and a steel rod to
stop
them coming open when on the move?.
If it is then you should have a round burner in the base of the oven, and
its just about the worst one ever made.

It's not eye level, more waist height (the grill is above and there's a
cupboard above that).
It certainly does have a burner at the base.
Thanks, again (!)
Will

Old August 18th 03, 08:33 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Thornber

In article , Will Hay
writes
I have a circa. 1988 ABI Ace Courier with an oven and grill.
The grill is fine but can I bugger get the oven to work anymore.
I've had the caravan two years (it's my first) and I know the cooker works
as we used it last year, but last weekend was our first attempt at using

it
again this year and like I say, would it hella's like work!!!
I just can't remember how we got it working
It's rather simple, all it has is a gas knob and a red button.
I've tried allsorts including holding in the red button and holding the

gas
turn knob for a while (while my wife held the lighted match LOL!) but to

no
avail.
Anyone familiar with these types of oven's?

I should add....
....I know the gas is on (!) as when I was trying this weekend I heard the
gas come on very briefly, but as I was losing patience fasssssstttt, I can't
figure what I did to prompt it (
Will

Lighting sequence for most ovens is the same, i.e.:
1) Turn the gas dial to 'full', press and hold it in.
2) Light the burner, using repeated presses of the ignitor button. Note:
Ignitor failure is probably the most common fault, so you may have to
resort to a match or other ignition source.
3) With the burner lit, keep the gas dial held in for around 10 seconds.
4) Release the gas dial. The burner should stay lit.
5) Adjust the gas dial as required for cooking.

If you can get the burner to light, but it goes out as soon as you
release the dial, then try again but keeping the dial held in for
longer. If the flame always goes out when you release the dial, even if
you've kept it held in for ages, then your thermocouple is shot.

If the oven won't light at all, then you probably have a supply
blockage: With the dial on full and held in for 20-30 seconds, you
should get the distinct smell of gas - if you don't, then none is
getting through.

If all your other gas appliances are working, then see if you can find a
gas isolation tap for the oven. It will probably be hidden in one of
the cupboards or lockers close to the cooker. There's always the
possibility that someone has found it before and decided to turn it off.

A further possibility is that the gas dial is broken: Instead of
turning the shaft and opening the gas valve, it's just turning on the
end of the shaft. If this is the case, it'll probably be possible to
turn the dial through 360 degrees. A new dial should sort this problem,
unless the gas valve has badly seized.
--
David Thornber

The 'nospam' address is a double-bluff, and any e-mail sent to it should
actually reach me. Failing that, send mail to 'dthornber at' instead.
Old August 18th 03, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Will Hay

Thanks folks, I'm very grateful.
I'll be back towing in a week or so, I'll report back and let you all know
how I went on.
Will

Old August 27th 03, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Will Hay

All works superbly now, many thanks to all who replied )
Will