RAC breakdown cover

Old September 20th 05, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

Default RAC breakdown cover

A rather salutory tale ...

After an excellent weekend camping with some friends, we arrived back at
the site where we store our 'van to find a large motorcaravan on our
storage pitch. Thankfully, the site owner lives next to the compound, so
I knocked on his door to ask why someone else was occupying "my" bit of
grass. He said that the motorhome had broken down (snapped cambelt), and
arrived at two in the morning. Without power steering, they couldn't get
it onto his pitch and had plonked on mine and could I please use his
pitch until the local garage collected the motorhome.

During the conversation, the site owner revealed that the hapless owner
of the motorhome had breakdown cover with the RAC. They attended the
breakdown and declared it couldn't be fixed at the roadside. The RAC
patrol then said that they couldn't recover the poor guy because his
motorhome exceeded the maximum size specified by his policy. He ended up
having to pay about six hundred pounds to be recovered about a hundred
miles!

He'd been with the RAC for many years. All that time, they'd taken his
money but never made him aware that he was paying for a service he
couldn't use. So, check your breakdown cover for any similar gotchas. I
know that CCC/RAC Arrival and CC Mayday waive all such restrictions, but
most of the others do have a vehicle specification that can exclude
larger motorhomes, caravans, and towcars.

HTH,

--
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK
Old September 20th 05, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
[...]

Whenever my RAC renewal comes up a set of terms and conditions comes with it
and they're pretty clear. I'd imagine the same was true for this guy. For
all we know he could have taken out the policy when he owned a Mini, just
kept paying the premium then got upset when they wouldn't tow his 30ft
motorhome across the country.

You say he was paying for a service he couldn't use, perhaps he's got a car
as well which would be covered the rest of the year. In any event, it's not
the RAC's fault he bought something he didn't need.

Rgds

Andy R

Old September 20th 05, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Andy R" wrote in message

Whenever my RAC renewal comes up a set of terms and conditions comes with
it and they're pretty clear. I'd imagine the same was true for this guy.

Yes, you're not unique :-)

You say he was paying for a service he couldn't use, perhaps he's got a
car as well which would be covered the rest of the year. In any event,
it's not the RAC's fault he bought something he didn't need.

True.

Mary
Member of RAC - now Arrival - for more than a quarter of a century and very
happy with it.

Old September 20th 05, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

"Andy R" wrote in
:

He'd been with the RAC for many years. All that time, they'd taken
his money but never made him aware that he was paying for a service
he couldn't use.

Whenever my RAC renewal comes up a set of terms and conditions comes
with it and they're pretty clear. I'd imagine the same was true for
this guy. For all we know he could have taken out the policy when he
owned a Mini, just kept paying the premium then got upset when they
wouldn't tow his 30ft motorhome across the country.

You say he was paying for a service he couldn't use, perhaps he's got
a car as well which would be covered the rest of the year. In any
event, it's not the RAC's fault he bought something he didn't need.

I'm not going to disagree. I made my post in the hope that anyone who
would be similarly caught could take the necessary action to avoid being
stranded if a breakdown couldn't be fixed at the roadside.

That said, the RAC booklet is thick enough for the vehicle specification
not to jump out at you. IIRC, it says you are covered provided the
vehicle meets the "vehicle specification", but that specification (where
you find that your 6-metre motorhome, 5 metre caravan, or 4x4 pick-up
isn't covered) is buried a little deeper. It's all too easy to assume
that it'll be OK if you can drive it on a car license, but that may not
be so. There are a surprising number of exclusions and not all breakdown
organisations have the same ones.

--
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK

Old September 20th 05, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.caravanning

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
There are a surprising number of exclusions and not all breakdown
organisations have the same ones.

I have cover for the car through the RAC, and I checked out with them if my
caravan was covered and it is not on my type of cover.
So I have Green Flag cover the caravan for me.

Please reply to News Group