Damp vans and dealers

Old September 21st 05, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tinkapace

Default Damp vans and dealers

On my quest for a new van (Used) at the moment and isn't it fun ? just been
to a local dealer who greeted me with a smile and pointed me in the
direction of a Musky saying take a look mate its open all our vans are dry
no problems at all. So in we jumped I reckon about 25% of the van was damp
all around the windows spongy and soft ( off the scale with my damp meter)
damp in all 4 corners and under beds. Now do you think the dealer was
stupid, or dishonest ? I can't believe he would not know this van was damp.
You did not even need a meter just a good nose.

I am getting quite concerned as this is happening regular over the last two
weeks. I am on my third van now and a good idea on what to look for and
armed with a damp meter I feel quite safe in my ability. I have even been to
a repair company with vans for sale and looked at a van he told me was dry.
When I found damp he was very uncomfortable with me looking at any more vans
on his pitch and banned me using my meter claiming it puts holes in the
walls. It scares me I tell you, there must be loads of first time buyers who
have no knowledge of vans being ripped off by theses people in my experience
buying from a dealer is no guarantee at all so why bother paying over the
odds for the van just be very careful and buy private unless you are getting
a fantastic guarantee that is cast iron and comprehensive.

At least most of the private owners seem willing to point out problems with
vans and work they have had done sadly not the dealers I have come across. I
am however lucky I have a good dry van at the moment( its just the layout
has become no good to me due to familly growing up) so I am in no hurry and
can be very very selective.

What do you all think ?
The quest continues
--
Tim Pace
Elite Mortgage Solutions LTD

Old September 21st 05, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 12:13:01 GMT, "Tinkapace"
wrote:

[...]

Keep away from dealers. What do they really give you apart from an
empty wallet? Unlike a car there simply isn't that much that can go
wrong with a caravan, so paying 2 or 3 grand over the odds is daft.

Buy secondhand private. Take a damp meter and ensure the owner has
owned the van a while. If they don't like questions or poking around
go elsewhere.

Old September 22nd 05, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Chamberlin

wrote:

[...]

Interesting thread - we might be on the lookout for a new van this
winter as our trusty 1991 Swift Challenger 450/5 is becoming riddled
with damp and the aluminium skin is corroding in a few places (repair
with fibreglass, etc.. not too successful :-( ). I've always thought
dealers would be trustworthy on damp, as their reputation would depend
on it, but I'm clearly naive/mistaken. If/when we do eventually get to
looking around: where can I get a damp meter from, and are they very
expensive?

TVMIA

David Chamberlin
Cambridge, UK

Old September 22nd 05, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tinkapace

about 10 from B&Q you will however have to sharpen the prongs a little

Old September 22nd 05, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ZZhivago

"Tinkapace" wrote in message
about 10 from B&Q you will however have to sharpen the prongs a little

--
Tim Pace
Elite Mortgage Solutions LTD

Make a plastic bridge that is drilled to take the pins on the meter, then
push a sewing pin in and out through the bottom of each hole. Converts the
meter into one which is very easy to use for damp testing, and leaves
invisible prick holes.

Paul

Old September 22nd 05, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

wrote:

[...]

Have you thought about looking at German vans they 'Don't Do Damp' not
even as an option.

Lenny