Dome Tent Style Awnings

Old September 22nd 05, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gareth Watkins

Default Dome Tent Style Awnings

Hi All
Can anyone tell me about these new dome tent style awnings that I've seen on
site? Anyone bought one? Who makes them and is there a website? Opinions?
The idea appeals to me as I'm a lone caravanner and find putting up even a
porch awning rather awkward on my own.
Cheers all.

Gareth

Old September 22nd 05, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil

Gareth Watkins wrote:
Hi All
Can anyone tell me about these new dome tent style awnings that I've seen on
site? Anyone bought one? Who makes them and is there a website? Opinions?
The idea appeals to me as I'm a lone caravanner and find putting up even a
porch awning rather awkward on my own.
Cheers all.

Gareth

Hi Gareth,

Just be aware that they don't fit on all caravans - tried the 'normal'
one and the bigger one on an Elddis Gulftream GT and neither of them
would fit.

If you still fancy one, try http://www.homesteadcaravans.co.uk to buy
online (they were very helpful when we had to sent both back)!

Neil

Old September 22nd 05, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

We have the larger one and are very pleased with it. very easy to erect and
dismantle but best of all there is no problem with dismantling it in the wet
as it is so small that it is easily packed away and then hung on a rotary
clothes drier.
See John Richards posting of 11 September.

Old September 23rd 05, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gareth Watkins

Hi Neil
Thanks for replying. Why didn't they fit? Was it the height or the shape of
the roof?
Many thanks
Gareth

"Neil" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old September 23rd 05, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Thornber

In message , Gareth Watkins
writes
Hi Neil
Thanks for replying. Why didn't they fit? Was it the height or the shape of
the roof?
Many thanks
Gareth

The shape of the roof shouldn't really matter, provided that the whole
of the section of awning rail to be used is within the height range
specified. The problem is if you go out of that specified range, as we
found with the one we bought.

We got this one from a dealer, miles and miles and miles from home. They
told us 'one size fits all' - it doesn't. It's too far to take it back,
and it's now technically 'used.' I'm now debating whether to try and
modify it by reducing the length of the poles (and risk trashing it
entirely) or just doing my best to recover the money by sticking it on
fleabay at the beginning of next season.

When I measured our 'van, it was about 20cm below the minimum height
specified in the awning instructions. This didn't seem much so I tried
it anyway. The result was that the front bowed out more than it should,
and I ended up with a wedge shaped gap between the sides of the awning
and the 'van body. This amounted to a gap of 6" or so by the time the
awning reached floor level. It doesn't sound like much, but it wouldn't
be safe in windy conditions.

When measuring up, it's also better if you can find a width that won't
interfere with any windows. Though most of the illustrations we've seen
show the sides cutting across windows anyway, so it looks like a lot of
people aren't bothered.
--
David Thornber

Old September 24th 05, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gareth Watkins

"David Thornber" wrote in message
news:[email protected] eranews...
[...]

Thanks David
I do fancy the look of one of these so I'll be measuring my van today. I
either caravan on my own or just with my kids now so I don't fancy my
chances of getting a standard awning up on my own, even a normal porch. This
just seems the ideal solution for providing a wet area just for weekends and
they do seem rather cheap too.
If my van measures up ok would you be interested in selling it to me?
Many thanks again.
Gareth