renew awning rails

Old July 3rd 03, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy

Default renew awning rails

hiya,

how feasable is it to renew the awning rail on a swift challenger
490/5se.

and how much do you think a repairer would charge to replace it?

well it only needs the biggest strip. as it is joined just above the
door

also can anyone give me a weight for the above mentioned van

im led to believe its around 833 kg but cant find the plate on the
van.

andy

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old July 4th 03, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Avondaleman.

Its about 25per hour +vat, then add to this the cost of the rail, and the
sealant, used.
"Andy" wrote in message
hiya,

how feasable is it to renew the awning rail on a swift challenger
490/5se.

and how much do you think a repairer would charge to replace it?

well it only needs the biggest strip. as it is joined just above the
door

also can anyone give me a weight for the above mentioned van

im led to believe its around 833 kg but cant find the plate on the
van.

andy

http://www.uncensored-news.com
The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old July 4th 03, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy

hiya

who could supply me with the rail and how much do you think it would
cost.

may consider doing it myself.

would there be any pitfalls to avoid?

chers

Old July 6th 03, 07:50 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Avondaleman.

Dunno, Jo, I resealed and rebedded all my awning rails, and although there
was one part which was sawn to accommodate a small angle, the rest was just
bent naturally to the shape of the caravan. As long as the top is started
first you can actually just lay it down, and put each screw in to hold it,
this pulls it into the shape and contour of the caravan but allows air to
escape preventing bubbles in the sealant, which will allow water under the
rail, but if this course of action is followed it works well.
"mo" wrote in message
A couple of years ago I had a Swift where the awning rail just "came open"
and the awning collapsed. I took my van back to the dealer who contacted
Swifts and they said that there had been a faulty batch of "soft" awning
rails, and they repaired the whole van for free.

The point is however that all the pieces were shaped to fit the van and
would only fit this particular model. So I think you would have to

approach
Swift or the manufacturer of the van to get the correct profile for your
van.

Swift were very helpful.

--
(All Incoming and Outgoing Emails Scanned With Norton Antivirus 2003)

"Mike" wrote in message

"Andy" wrote in message
snip snip ect
Andy, why not phone swift and see what they will charge you will also

need
the plastic strip that goes behind it. I take it your one is beyond

repair
?
if not and you have only damaged the awning channel you can get a tool

with
which you can open it up.
Mike

Old July 7th 03, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim Crawford

"Andy" wrote in message
hiya

who could supply me with the rail and how much do you think it would
cost.

I would guess you'd have to go through a dealer to obtain it, they need
their cut as well Andy, as for the weight, what year is the van, we had a
1994 challenger 490 and it's unladen weight was 19.5 cwt.

Jim