Blowout

Old September 25th 05, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Collingwood

Default Blowout

Hi
Had a blowout on the A1 yesterday[and I'd like to thank the caravanner
who stopped to give help] and I wondered why a very good safety
tyre,three years old with correct pressure and plenty of tread,would
blow out from the side rim.
I was travelling near 60mph so it was not a pleasant experience.The
van,tyres included,had been serviced two months previous.As I am under
Green Flag I called them as I am under hospital treatment,and their
response was very good,breakdown within the hour.
Just wondered why it should go like that,first ever blow out in twenty
years towing.
Guess it was just unlucky but there was no sign of it about to go.Hate
to think it would go again middle lane of the M6.My wife was shook
up.Any real answers?

"Too soon we get Old,Too late we get Smart"
Old September 25th 05, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Harry Collingwood
writes
Hi
Had a blowout on the A1 yesterday[and I'd like to thank the caravanner
who stopped to give help] and I wondered why a very good safety
tyre,three years old with correct pressure and plenty of tread,would
blow out from the side rim.
I was travelling near 60mph so it was not a pleasant experience.The
van,tyres included,had been serviced two months previous.As I am under
Green Flag I called them as I am under hospital treatment,and their
response was very good,breakdown within the hour.
Just wondered why it should go like that,first ever blow out in twenty
years towing.
Guess it was just unlucky but there was no sign of it about to go.Hate
to think it would go again middle lane of the M6.My wife was shook
up.Any real answers?

"Too soon we get Old,Too late we get Smart"

Has the van been left stationary for long periods of time? This can
weaken the side walls on radial tyres. Depth of tread has nothing to do
with a blow out btw.
--
hugh

Old September 25th 05, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tony Falla

What make of caravan, I have just had all the tyre valves on my Bailey
Pageant (1 year old ) replaced during service. Told by the dealer that for
several years Bailey have been fitting cheap valves which crack in a short
space of time. They regularly have to refit during a service.

Tony falla

Old September 25th 05, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne

"Harry Collingwood" wrote in message
Hi
Had a blowout on the A1 yesterday[and I'd like to thank the caravanner
who stopped to give help] and I wondered why a very good safety
tyre,three years old with correct pressure and plenty of tread,would
blow out from the side rim.
I was travelling near 60mph so it was not a pleasant experience.The
van,tyres included,had been serviced two months previous.As I am under
Green Flag I called them as I am under hospital treatment,and their
response was very good,breakdown within the hour.
Just wondered why it should go like that,first ever blow out in twenty
years towing.
Guess it was just unlucky but there was no sign of it about to go.Hate
to think it would go again middle lane of the M6.My wife was shook
up.Any real answers?

Harry

First of all its sad you had such a terrible experience. There could be many
reasons why it happened. It could have been some debris on the road or
perhaps the van left standing in one place for several months. I agree with
Dave F that Tyron Safety Bands should be given some consideration. They
won't prevent a pucture but it should be much more controlled.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk

Old September 25th 05, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

[...]

It must have been very frightening and is one of those occurrences which can
never be practiced. You did well to stay on the road and remain in one
piece.

Van tyres are exceedingly vulnerable to unintentional abuse - a speed hump
or more likely a pot hole which hit at speed can damage the side wall or
less likely the main tread area. I use extension mirrors either side and
direct the standard mirrors to show the van's wheels which helps to avoid
the obvious kerbing.

I replaced the tyres on my 3yr old Hobby 495 after randomly spaced radial
indentations appeared on the side walls of both tyres. Finding a comparable
replacement caused a problem and I settled, on the tyre dealer's advice, for
a reinforced tyre with one step up in weight allowance. As supplied the
total maximum allowed weight of the van exceeded the maximum tyre loading by
40kgs. The dealer had not seen such marks before on a tyre which had done
about 3k miles and had been taken off the van during the winters. The tyre
manufacturer was "Matador" (Size 205/70 14); the new tyres are Semperits.

Jim