Nissan Terrano as a tow car

Old September 25th 05, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

Default Nissan Terrano as a tow car

I am looking around for something a bit more substantial as a tug and note
that the prices of 3 litre diesel Terrano's look very competitive. I would
be grateful for any comments or advice anyone has on either this car or
perhaps one similar. The car would have to be kept for a substantial time
so cost or spares will become important.

Jim

Old September 26th 05, 05:09 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ian

"Jim" wrote in message
I am looking around for something a bit more substantial as a tug and note
that the prices of 3 litre diesel Terrano's look very competitive. I
would be grateful for any comments or advice anyone has on either this car
or perhaps one similar. The car would have to be kept for a substantial
time so cost or spares will become important.

Jim

Hi Jim

I have had 2 Terrano 2.7ltrs TD LWB's, a '94 L reg and currently a '99 T
reg. IMHO they are definately one of the more underated 4x4's. I have towed
a Swift Conqueror 640 Salon (1600kg max weight) with both of them and
currently a Burstner S500TS (1500kg max).
Regarding costs, like most 4x4 they don't come cheap, but examples a
consumption probably averages around early 20's including both towing &
solo, I have just had new track rod ends, tracking done & 4 new A/T tyre at
a cost of 415 though I did about 50 knocked off the tyres when I told them
I only wanted the steering sorted as I had already sorted the supply of the
tyres.
Have a look at http://www.caravantrekker.nl/en/ to compare your intended
outfit.

HTH
--
Ian B
Please reply to NG

Old September 26th 05, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"Jim" wrote in message
I am looking around for something a bit more substantial as a tug and note
that the prices of 3 litre diesel Terrano's look very competitive. I
would be grateful for any comments or advice anyone has on either this car
or perhaps one similar. The car would have to be kept for a substantial
time so cost or spares will become important.

Just drove one (2 years old) from Southend to Honfleur solo, picked up fully
loaded Swift Conqueror twin axle caravan, towed it to Bradford, returned car
to Southend.
27mpg solo, 24mpg towing. Loads of torque, felt more than adequate. Nice
drive but gets 'gravelly' noisy when pushed above sixty plus mph. I wasn't
hanging about so I guess better fuel economy would be achievable if driven
gently.
If you want a tug that will pull any size caravan you're ever likely to
have, I'd recommend it.
DaveK.

Old September 26th 05, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ira Walters

"Jim" wrote in message
I am looking around for something a bit more substantial as a tug and note
that the prices of 3 litre diesel Terrano's look very competitive. I
would be grateful for any comments or advice anyone has on either this car
or perhaps one similar. The car would have to be kept for a substantial
time so cost or spares will become important.

Jim

Jim

On my second Terrano. The first was a 1998 2.7 litre, currently have the
3.0 litre SVE. No qualms whatsoever, indescribably better than my last car
which was the Land Rover Discovery.

I have always towed heavy 'vans, currently a Abbey Spectrum twin-wheeler and
have never been let down by the Terrano.

Good luck
Ira

Old September 27th 05, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
garybambrough

both the 3.0 and 2.7 are great tow cars but the 2.7 engine is much more
reliable and considerably cheaper to maintain. The 2.7 engine has been the
choice in black cabs for years because of its fuel consumption and
reliability, and ford commisioned nissan to make the maverick so they
obviously hold it in high regard

Old September 27th 05, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Anal

garybambrough wrote:
both the 3.0 and 2.7 are great tow cars but the 2.7 engine is much more
reliable and considerably cheaper to maintain. The 2.7 engine has been the
choice in black cabs for years because of its fuel consumption and
reliability, and ford commisioned nissan to make the maverick so they
obviously hold it in high regard

Not so, the 2.7 engine is a dog - and an old dog at that. It's an
indirect injection antique that's as rough as a bears arse and shudders
to a standstill when you turn of the ignition.

The 3.0 is much better - but still not on a par with modern common-rail
units. It's based loosely on the Patrol lump, and returns better
economy than the 2.7, despite its larger capacity. It has extremely high
torque and ambles along at 60 mph at less than 2,000 revs. In fact, the
gearing is so high that it's impossible to drive it through towns in
more than 4th gear - and often 3rd.

Overall, the Terrano revamps are too little and too late - it's a very
dated design in every respect and has a fairly cramped cabin with none
of the trim frills and fol-de-rols that make a car desirable. The
plastic trim is cheap and very badly put together on many examples,
while the 'extra' seating in the rear is next to useless, having no head
rests and leg room for only very small children. It's an 'all or
nothing' seat, as well - because it's not split it devours all the
luggage space when in use.

Later Terrano's suffer from a multitude of electrical problems due to
Nissan outsourcing supply to South America. Any of the dash instruments
are liable to fail suddenly - usually requiring a complete 'head' unit
replacement @ about 700 + VAT + fitting is outside the warranty period.

All in all, it's long overdue for the chop - and isn't even on the same
planet as Nissan's new 'Pathfinder' - which is a terrific 4x4, and is
everything that the Terrano is not.