Any advice for newbie tower...???

Old September 28th 05, 08:05 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Musicman

Default Any advice for newbie tower...???

Hi everyone,

As October 7th draws near, I wait in anticipation at collecting my first
caravan - a Lunar Freelander. I have never towed anything before and I'm
just a little bemused at what to expect as my Ford Focus 1.8TD Estate 90BHP
chugs away from the dealer's car par with this 920kg lump on the back....

I have checked out that my car can tow that weight so now I just have to
know how to deal with it myself. Incidentally, my car can tow up to 1200kg
but the caravan has a total loaded weight potential in excess of that so I
will always have to be careful. I've saved a little of the hardship of
reversing and manouvering by having a caravan mover fitted too.

Any advice fellow caravanners?

TIA
Kevin (IOW) - New camping and caravanning member :-)

Old September 28th 05, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
etomd

"Musicman" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

As October 7th draws near, I wait in anticipation at collecting my first
caravan - a Lunar Freelander. I have never towed anything before and I'm
just a little bemused at what to expect as my Ford Focus 1.8TD Estate
90BHP chugs away from the dealer's car par with this 920kg lump on the
back....

I have checked out that my car can tow that weight so now I just have to
know how to deal with it myself. Incidentally, my car can tow up to 1200kg
but the caravan has a total loaded weight potential in excess of that so I
will always have to be careful. I've saved a little of the hardship of
reversing and manouvering by having a caravan mover fitted too.

Any advice fellow caravanners?

Get a bigger tow car........!

Old September 28th 05, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Musicman wrote:

Hi everyone,

As October 7th draws near, I wait in anticipation at collecting my
first caravan - a Lunar Freelander. I have never towed anything
before and I'm just a little bemused at what to expect as my Ford
Focus 1.8TD Estate 90BHP chugs away from the dealer's car par with
this 920kg lump on the back....

I have checked out that my car can tow that weight so now I just have
to know how to deal with it myself. Incidentally, my car can tow up
to 1200kg but the caravan has a total loaded weight potential in
excess of that so I will always have to be careful. I've saved a
little of the hardship of reversing and manouvering by having a
caravan mover fitted too.

Any advice fellow caravanners?

TIA
Kevin (IOW) - New camping and caravanning member :-)

What is the kerb (unladen) weight of your car? The usual advice for good
towing stability - particularly in the case of people with little or no
towing experience - is that the *all up* weight of the caravan shouldn't
exceed 85% of the kerb weight of the car. On this basis, if your van has an
all-up weight of 1200Kg (and it sounds as if it may be higher than this -
what does the plate say?!) your car would need to have a kerb weight of over
1400Kg - and I doubt whether it actually does.

In my experience, some car makers are grossly optimistic as to what their
cars will tow. The figures quoted are often based on some theoretical
calculation of being able to re-start on a specified gradient - but take
little or no account of stability or of the ability to maintain reasonable
progress and not get in everyone's way.

In the light of the above, the only advice I can give is that you should be
getting a heavier, more powerful, towcar or a lighter caravan!
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old September 28th 05, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

In the light of the above, the only advice I can give is that you should
be
getting a heavier, more powerful, towcar or a lighter caravan!
--

I'd just take it very easy until you get the hang of it.
That car should have no problems pulling a caravan of that weight. You might
consider a fuel boost device from Eastcoast Racing which would up the power
to 117bhp. But it costs over 350.
Join the Caravan Club and maybe sign up for a novices towing course.
There's a lot of trash talked about towing limits. Some even put everything
they take away on the bathroom scales and add it all up as if it were
baggage limits on aircraft. Then they weigh the downforce on the hitch and
trolley stuff about in the van until it's exactly 75kg or whatever the book
recommends.
Obviously do not overload the car or van and don't drive faster than your
abilities.
Have a few dry runs on quiet road systems. It's ideal where I live, we have
six miles of deserted dual carriageways with roundabouts and junctions. It's
called New Brighton promenade.
Have fun,
DaveK.

Old September 28th 05, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 11:23:50 +0100, "davek"

[...]

Yeah but you hard pushed to get over 70 there....lol

Old September 28th 05, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alan Holmes

"Musicman" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

As October 7th draws near, I wait in anticipation at collecting my first
caravan - a Lunar Freelander. I have never towed anything before and I'm
just a little bemused at what to expect as my Ford Focus 1.8TD Estate
90BHP chugs away from the dealer's car par with this 920kg lump on the
back....

I have checked out that my car can tow that weight so now I just have to
know how to deal with it myself. Incidentally, my car can tow up to 1200kg
but the caravan has a total loaded weight potential in excess of that so I
will always have to be careful. I've saved a little of the hardship of
reversing and manouvering by having a caravan mover fitted too.

Any advice fellow caravanners?

In spite of the negative advice you have been given by others, your car
should tow this with little trouble, I have towed a sprite muscateer
with an 1600cc car with no problems at all.

Just take things very easy at first untill you get used to the outfit.

--
Alan

Reply to alan (dot) holmes27 (at) virgin (dot) net