Stormy trip

Old September 29th 05, 08:38 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Rooney

Default Stormy trip

Had a few nights this week when I was shaken out of my bed!

This was what happened to the caravan near me on Monday afternoon:

http://www.geocities.com/paulrooney2003/Damage.JPG
--

Paul Rooney
Old September 29th 05, 08:56 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 09:38:47 +0100, Paul Rooney wrote:

| Had a few nights this week when I was shaken out of my bed!
|
| This was what happened to the caravan near me on Monday afternoon:
|

| http://www.geocities.com/paulrooney2003/Damage.JPG

Oops! cliff tops are a bad idea in stormy weather.
Back to the old tenting rule of pitch with a hedge to windward of you, or
to the South West.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
The London suicide bombers killed innocent commuters.
Old September 29th 05, 08:56 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old September 29th 05, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

wrote:

Had a few nights this week when I was shaken out of my bed!

This was what happened to the caravan near me on Monday afternoon

Wherabouts were you, that looks terrifying.

(remove the spam to reply)

Old September 29th 05, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Rooney

wrote:

Had a few nights this week when I was shaken out of my bed!

This was what happened to the caravan near me on Monday afternoon

Wherabouts were you, that looks terrifying.

(remove the spam to reply)

Shieldaig (again), Bill. There was no-one in it at the time,
fortunately. He had it tied to the ground but the pegs pulled out. He
was also pointing into the south west gale, as Dave recommends, but
there were occasional ferocious squalls from the south east, and one
was obviously strong enough to do the damage.

Btw, I seem to remember that you said you got feedback that your spare
battery was charging in the boot. I have mine rigged up now, but how
can you be sure it's actually charging? I assume mine is - haven't had
to use the spare yet.
--

Paul Rooney

Old September 29th 05, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 12:25:28 +0100, Paul Rooney wrote:

| Wherabouts were you, that looks terrifying.

| Shieldaig (again), Bill.

Ah! Shieldaig, IME a wonderful position, on the top of a small cliff. If I
were there and a storm were forcast, I would either get the hell out, or
fasten my van down well with pegs, guy ropes, luggage straps etc. Shades
of tenting at Durness.

Old September 29th 05, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old September 29th 05, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 12:25:28 +0100, Paul Rooney wrote:

| Btw, I seem to remember that you said you got feedback that your spare
| battery was charging in the boot. I have mine rigged up now, but how
| can you be sure it's actually charging? I assume mine is - haven't had
| to use the spare yet.

Get a three quid multimeter from Maplins or the like. Measure the battery
voltage with the engine off. Start the engine and the voltage should go up
a little.