Towbar recommendations please

Old September 29th 05, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Schrodingers Cat

Default Towbar recommendations please

Hi
New to this NG & caravanning in particular. I have just bought a Citroen C5
2.0 HDi saloon and my mate recommends a Witter towbar. However, I understand
that some of the rear bumper will have to be removed which I am not to happy
about.
Anyone recommend a bar that doesn't involve cutting away the bumper?

Thanx

Old September 29th 05, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Schrodingers Cat wrote:

Hi
New to this NG & caravanning in particular. I have just bought a
Citroen C5
2.0 HDi saloon and my mate recommends a Witter towbar. However, I
understand that some of the rear bumper will have to be removed which
I am not to happy about.
Anyone recommend a bar that doesn't involve cutting away the bumper?

Thanx

I don't know the answer to your question - but in the past I have asked each
towbar maker (Witter, Brinks, Towsure, etc.) to send me a copy of the
fitting instructions so that I can see what is involved.

Is it a plastic bumper? Will the cutout be visible? Some years ago, I fitted
towbars to a Rover 600 and Rover 400 - both of which involved cutting a
piece out of the bumper - but in each case, it was out of the horizontal bit
at the bottom which faces downwards. I kept the bits and stuck them back in
when I got rid of the cars - and you couldn't see anything without
grovelling, and even then you'd have to look hard.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old September 29th 05, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
petetop

"Schrodingers Cat" wrote in message
Hi
New to this NG & caravanning in particular. I have just bought a Citroen
C5 2.0 HDi saloon and my mate recommends a Witter towbar. However, I
understand that some of the rear bumper will have to be removed which I am
not to happy about.
Anyone recommend a bar that doesn't involve cutting away the bumper?

Thanx

Hi
We have a Citroen C5 1.8 and bought our towbar from Towsure. It wasn't
the bumper that needed cutting but the plastic trim under the bumper. The
trim is marked by Citroen so the cutting was straight forward. I did it with
a sharp knife. It just allows it to fit round the towbar.
Regards
Pete

Old September 29th 05, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve

Schrodingers Cat wrote:
Hi
New to this NG & caravanning in particular. I have just bought a Citroen C5
2.0 HDi saloon and my mate recommends a Witter towbar. However, I understand
that some of the rear bumper will have to be removed which I am not to happy
about.
Anyone recommend a bar that doesn't involve cutting away the bumper?

Thanx

A lot of towbar manufacturers have the fitting instructions in a .pdf on
their website. My guess is if one has to cut, they all will.

Get a Witter quick releasing removeable towbar with the red/green twist
mechanism. A doddle to use and invisible the rest of the time.

Old September 29th 05, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Miller

"Schrodingers Cat" wrote in message
Hi
New to this NG & caravanning in particular. I have just bought a Citroen
C5 2.0 HDi saloon and my mate recommends a Witter towbar. However, I
understand that some of the rear bumper will have to be removed which I am
not to happy about.
Anyone recommend a bar that doesn't involve cutting away the bumper?

Thanx

My C5 had a Brink towbar fitted which required the removal of the trim under
the bumper. The cutout is not visible from standing height. If it's the
facelifted C5, Citroen have moved the numberplate into the bumper. Because
of this and for neatness, I had a removeable one fitted and it looks very
tidy, but obviously more expensive than the fixed version.

John Miller

Old September 30th 05, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Thornber

In message , Schrodingers Cat
writes
Hi
New to this NG & caravanning in particular. I have just bought a Citroen C5
2.0 HDi saloon and my mate recommends a Witter towbar. However, I understand
that some of the rear bumper will have to be removed which I am not to happy
about.
Anyone recommend a bar that doesn't involve cutting away the bumper?

From what others have said, it sounds like the bumper cut is unavoidable
on the C5, regardless of which brand of bar you buy.

That won't be a problem if you own the car, but if it's on contract hire
(or possibly some other forms of finance) you'll need permission to fit
the bar, and they'll probably impose a condition that the car must be
restored to its original spec before being returned (though some now let
you leave the towbar in situ as an alternative.) If the bumper cut is
invisible, it shouldn't be a problem... unless they decide to get
really, really picky.

Brand wise, go for Brink or Bosal if you want absolutely top quality,
Witter if you want perfectly good quality at sensible prices, and
Towsure if you're going for cheap 'n' cheerful. They're all legal, and
all supposedly tested to the same standards, but the fixings aren't
included in the test, and some will be better than others. Some of the
more expensive ones will also have put more thought into ease of fitting
(i.e. they may not require bumper removal, whereas cheaper ones might.)
--
David Thornber