OT Veggie OIL as Fuel for Diesels engines

Old September 29th 05, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John White

Default OT Veggie OIL as Fuel for Diesels engines

Dear All,
Sorry to be so far of topic but I am sure that somebody here will
be able to answer this for me.
I am considering running a diesel car on vegetable oil. I know this is quiet
possible and with the right paper work quiet legal. Does any one know of a
news group relating to this please. I have found many web sites but would
like to find a news group as this is my preferred method of net conversing.
Thanks in advance and once again sorry to be of topic.
JOHN

--
www.g7bwi.co.uk

Old September 30th 05, 07:34 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

"John White" wrote in
:

Dear All,
Sorry to be so far of topic but I am sure that somebody here
will
be able to answer this for me.
I am considering running a diesel car on vegetable oil. I know this is
quiet possible and with the right paper work quiet legal. Does any one
know of a news group relating to this please. I have found many web
sites but would like to find a news group as this is my preferred
method of net conversing. Thanks in advance and once again sorry to be
of topic. JOHN

Not a newsgroup, but Goat Industries has a well-informed forum:
http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum/index.php

You could also try looking at http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/ for
information on conversions and for a database that might help you decide
whether veggie oil is safe for your car (it can trash some fuel pumps).
Also, try http://www.vegburner.co.uk/

http://www.journeytoforever.org/ has more info (especially on biodiesel
and bioethanol).

BTW, what car are you considering vegging out?

--
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK

Old September 30th 05, 08:07 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Des

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
"John White" wrote in
:

[...]

Another good one is http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=447609751
it has a UK section and covers Biodiesel as well as SVO, I haven't found a
newsgroup as such that covers SVO, If you email me direct I can give you a
few pointers.

Des

Old September 30th 05, 08:07 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Des

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
"John White" wrote in
:

Old September 30th 05, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ROBIN DUMPLETON

If you have a modern diesel forget it, raw veggie oil, even heated will be
too heavy for a modern common rail engine. 100% biodiesel won't run in
modern diesels either as it is too thick (SG .88) against ULS at .83 SG and
some farm produced bio is not adequately washed and the trace methanol eats
the seals in the pumps.

Robin

"Des" wrote in message
news:[email protected] eranews...

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
"John White" wrote in
:

Old September 30th 05, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ROBIN DUMPLETON

"Des" wrote in message
news:[email protected] eranews...

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
"John White" wrote in
:

Old September 30th 05, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John White

Thanks for all the replies. I now have a few more places to look. I haven't
yet bought a car to try to convert. But I am thinking along the lines of a
ford 1800. IE fiesta or escort but as I haven't got the car or van yet I am
open to suggestions regarding the most suitable. I get the feeling that
older Mercs might be a very good choice. I have read many different opinions
about this but it looks fairly simple thing to do . I have ridden in a large
Pickup that runs very well on a 75/25%mix of veggie oil and derv with no
heating of the tank or fuel line .It just seems such a sensible idea. Nice
and green and of course cheaper than derv. Even after paying the duty .
Thanks again for you advice any more offers of advice particularly choice of
suitable car/van would be particularly welcome.
JOHN
Ps I am still sorry to be off topic .Its nice to be able to go a long way
off topic with out getting my head bitten of as it so often is in another
news group I used to subscribe to.