More damp vans-The search continues( was damp vans and dealers)

Old October 1st 05, 06:53 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tinkapace

Default More damp vans-The search continues( was damp vans and dealers)

Hi all thought I would up date you on my search for a new van,

Now remember I have a very dry and sound caravan already, a 1989 abi
marauder kept inside most of its life and under a cover for the last year
and a half. So I am in no hurry. Yeasterday we did a 5 hr round trip to see
a Swift 2 bearth challenger (ebay). about 1988 was my guess guy was
convinced we would buy it on the spot 1200 on ebay. On arrival we where
taken aback with its quality I have seldom seen a van of this age looking
this good. Before this guy bought it it had 1 ownner from new, an old
couple. Wow it was amazing looked brand new inside luxury 2 beart end
kitchen. My wife ans I gave each other a glance we thought we had a winner.
I had my damp meter but kept it pocketed I tend to only produce it if I
need it I have a good nose and finger and years of caravan experience. Back
end was dry after a good examination, bathroom sound and new looking (hardly
used) "payed 1600 4 months ago he cried ist she a beauty" at this point I
agred it indeed was a cracker. A brief pause to sit on the front seating,
Firm and not a signe of a mark. However my heart sunk on checking the front.
The whole of the front of the van was rotten !!! no damp meter needed
the frames on the window soggy and parts of it so bad my finger would have
sunk in if I had pushed it. I then pointed this out to the guy who genuinly
seemed devestated. "I had no idea" he cried. I was also devestated I loved
the van and just drove 5hrs and 40 in fuel ( round trip) a further
inspection found a damp skylight in the loo so damp in fact that when I
prodded it water ran down my arm !!.
Now my point is a new caravanner would have bought this It was
wonderfully clean and not a mark in sight. I have loads of experience and
know what I am doing many do not its scarey !!! take heed you newbies go
with a seasoned caravanner and take a damp meter. I have seen many dry
older vans well loved and looked after so they are there its just a matter
of finding them.

The quest continues.......stay tuned in

--
Tim Pace