Which Hitchlock??

Old October 3rd 05, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Musicman

Default Which Hitchlock??

Hi there again fellow 'vanners etc.

My last post got several responses so I thought I'd ask another question.

Are all hitchlocks mostly 'much of a muchness' or are there any classed as
'industry standards' and 'must haves'??

Feel free to recomend any brand.

Many thanks

Old October 3rd 05, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 16:21:40 +0100, "Musicman"
wrote:

Hi there again fellow 'vanners etc.

My last post got several responses so I thought I'd ask another question.

Are all hitchlocks mostly 'much of a muchness' or are there any classed as
'industry standards' and 'must haves'??

Feel free to recomend any brand.

Many thanks

A hitchlock is not much of a deterrant, people stealing vans have
devices which just hook around the hitchlock. However they do seem to
keep the insurance companies happy. The Alko locks for the stabiliser
hitches are good value and do their job well, most other that are
reasonably substantial have always seemed very much of a muchness to
me.
My van sitting at home has a hitchlock and a wheelclamp, when I'm away
it has a hitchlock, wheelclamps are too heavy and bulky to carry. If
someone decides to steal my van I don't want to see it again and the
insurance company can sort it out.

(remove the spam to reply)

Old October 3rd 05, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Turner

Hi,
when I bought my hitchlock a review said that the Bulldog make resisted
attempts to take it off for 5 mins.

You can lock it hitched and unhitched and the casual theif at a service
stop would have to make a hell of a noise if the hammerd it off. I use a
wheel losk bar that fits over special wheel studs. It's light enoigh to
carry although you have to make sure the studs are lined up correctly before
fitting it.

Best of luck

John

Old October 3rd 05, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
wally

Are all hitchlocks mostly 'much of a muchness' or are there any classed as
'industry standards' and 'must haves'??

Feel free to recomend any brand.

Many thanks

I have the answer.
Buy a crappy van that is'nt worth much then no one wants
to steal it anyway.
You save thousands of pounds that a good van would cost
plus you don't have to pay out for hitch locks etc.
You will save even more because there is no need to insure it.

Sorted.
Wally ( ok so i'm living up to my name, sorry )

Old October 3rd 05, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John White

I have the answer.
Buy a crappy van that is'nt worth much then no one wants
to steal it anyway.
You save thousands of pounds that a good van would cost
plus you don't have to pay out for hitch locks etc.
You will save even more because there is no need to insure it.

Sorted.
Wally ( ok so i'm living up to my name, sorry )

I tend to agree with you up to a point. I am one of those odd people that
think most new vans (Most new any thing for that matter) are crappy. until
recently my family van was a mid 1970's sprite. We now have a mid 1980's
eldis. Neither of these vans have electric water pumps ,blown air heating or
even showers. The sprite cost me 200 and the eldis I was given as long as I
collected it. I really believe we have as much fun in our van as we would in
any other. There are advantages in not having a modern van. My preparations
for winter consist of Parking the van in a suitable position in the garden,
Locking the caravan door and finally sitting in the arm chair in my front
room and wait for next spring. No water to drain or any of that hard work
stuff. However I do use a hitch lock and wheel clamp as it doesn't matter
what the van is worth on the open market it is worth its weight in gold to
us. I can't remember where I got the locks from but I know for a fact I
didn't buy them. I probably found them in some old van in the past. To make
our vanning perfect all we need now is a mid 1980's ford V6 and some mid
1960's petrol prices.
Best wishes to all.
JOHN
PS Is an electric hook up that popping noise you get when you light the gas
lights in the evening?

Old October 4th 05, 05:43 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

"John White" wrote in message

I have the answer.
Buy a crappy van that is'nt worth much then no one wants
to steal it anyway.
You save thousands of pounds that a good van would cost
plus you don't have to pay out for hitch locks etc.
You will save even more because there is no need to insure it.

One of the reasons for insuring a van is to cover a third party claim
against the user/owner, not just to reimburse for the cost of the
replacement.

Wheel clamps can be levered off especially if there are gaps between the
metal arms and the tread of the tyre and thieves are quite happy to let air
out of the tyre to help them get the clamp off. Like everything else if
someone wants your van then there is not much you can do about it other than
to attempt to make it more difficult and cause them some delay.

Jim