Cheapest time of year to buy a caravan ...?

Old October 4th 05, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter

Default Cheapest time of year to buy a caravan ...?

Has anyone an opinion on the cheapest month of the year to buy a
caravan privately? We need to take one abroad next year so are in no
hurry & wondered the best time to buy.

Alternatively, has anyone any experience of buying a caravan in France
(cheaper, any good sites to find them, etc)?

This is a highly useful group - thanks.

Peter

Old October 4th 05, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"Peter" wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anyone an opinion on the cheapest month of the year to buy a
caravan privately? We need to take one abroad next year so are in no
hurry & wondered the best time to buy.

Alternatively, has anyone any experience of buying a caravan in France
(cheaper, any good sites to find them, etc)?

We've looked at dealers in France and you don't get much for your money in
the used market.
They are mostly basic interiors compared to our luxy cottages on wheels.
Now till January is good for best value here. Caravans manufactured since
September get a 2006 date, so everything else has just aged another year.
Neighbour just sold a 2000 ABI Brooklyn, immaculate, hardly used- complete
with all equipment for 7300.
I reckon the buyer got a pretty good deal.
DaveK.

Old October 4th 05, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter

Hi Dave, thanks for your reply, I'm glad to hear we're starting to look
at the right time. Would prefer to buy here than France because I can
load a few (lighter) things in the caravan as well as in the car,
though I would have compromised on this if someone said they were half
the money !

We need something to leave in France for a few years for a house
restoration project, as we'll have no sanitation initially I need
something with a reasonable shower, toilet and a fair sized living
space, 2 doubles would be ideal. We can justify about 3K & would aim
to get something as new (& as dry!) as possible & weight wise up to
what an X-Trail can tow safely.

If anyone has anything, we live just outside Burton On Trent.

Peter

Old October 4th 05, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter

On 4 Oct 2005 04:16:41 -0700, "Peter"
wrote:

Hi Dave, thanks for your reply, I'm glad to hear we're starting to look
at the right time. Would prefer to buy here than France because I can
load a few (lighter) things in the caravan as well as in the car,
though I would have compromised on this if someone said they were half
the money !

We need something to leave in France for a few years for a house
restoration project, as we'll have no sanitation initially I need
something with a reasonable shower, toilet and a fair sized living
space, 2 doubles would be ideal. We can justify about 3K & would aim
to get something as new (& as dry!) as possible & weight wise up to
what an X-Trail can tow safely.

Not sure I'd want to leave a tourer unattended for too long, certainly
not a decent one (do they have as many Tleafs in France?).

Wouldn't a small static be better suited to your needs?

Old October 4th 05, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter

It's a pretty remote area & fortunately the property has a big barn
with it so when we're not their we would put it inside and lock it up
well. I wouldn't fancy moving a static 700 miles, plus it will be an
excuse to have a few other holidays out if it as well ..

Old October 4th 05, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"Peter" wrote in message
oups.com...
It's a pretty remote area & fortunately the property has a big barn
with it so when we're not their we would put it inside and lock it up
well.

For 3000 you should find a twelve year old biggish van with all mod cons,
equipment and awning. Maybe a twin axle.
Possibly buy one cheap which has noticeable damp (they all have some to a
greater or lesser extent) and live in it in the barn.
Maybe it would feel a bit gloomy-but it would be dry.
DaveK.