Leisure batteries

Old August 16th 03, 06:48 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
marsupilami

Default Leisure batteries

Hello,

Fairly new to caravans, so I am after a bit of advice on leisure batteries.
So can anyone offer any suggestions to the best type, best place to buy them
and is there any that I should avoid.
All advice and info greatly recieved.

Many thanks

Luckie

--
Don`t blame me, I was born blonde.

Remove "me" to reply.

Old August 16th 03, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 06:48:02 GMT, "marsupilami"
wrote:

Fairly new to caravans, so I am after a bit of advice on leisure batteries.
So can anyone offer any suggestions to the best type, best place to buy them
and is there any that I should avoid.
All advice and info greatly recieved.

Go to your local caravan dealers, the bigger the better ( they sell
more batteries and you would be less likely to find an old one ) and
buy whatever leisure battery that they sell. Many people buy 85 amp/hr
batteries that cost about 30 and they are fine, my first two were
like this and lasted years properly cared for, but the one I bought
then was a 110 amp/hr battery simply because I tend if possible to use
sites without mains hook up, cost should be about 50. The big
difference is weight, and bulk, reputedly they last longer though I
have no evidence to back that up.

(remove the spam to reply)
Old August 16th 03, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
marsupilami

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Bill, this seems to back up what I have already being considering. I
will keep looking around for the best deal and possibly consider the 85amp
for regular use, with the 110 as a back up. We tend to use the van away from
the usual sites as we go off-roading in a landrover so we tend to just camp
in a field with no services, electric hook up etc, so the bask up wouod be
most useful.

Many thanks,

Luckie

Old August 16th 03, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
RADIOTWO

Hi Luckie

Try Halfords, they do some leisure batteries and some have 3 years garantee.

Steve.

Old August 16th 03, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 20:19:46 GMT, "marsupilami"
wrote:

Thanks Bill, this seems to back up what I have already being considering. I
will keep looking around for the best deal and possibly consider the 85amp
for regular use, with the 110 as a back up. We tend to use the van away from
the usual sites as we go off-roading in a landrover so we tend to just camp
in a field with no services, electric hook up etc, so the bask up wouod be
most useful.

I would do it the other way around, using the smaller battery as
backup, but you ought to make sure that you have the ability to charge
a battery in your boot.

(remove the spam to reply)
Old August 18th 03, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Thornber

In article ,
marsupilami writes
Hello,

Fairly new to caravans, so I am after a bit of advice on leisure batteries.
So can anyone offer any suggestions to the best type, best place to buy them
and is there any that I should avoid.
All advice and info greatly recieved.

First thing's first: Buy the largest capacity battery (i.e. the biggest
'Ah' figure) that will physically fit in your caravan battery locker. In
most cases, this will be a 110Ah battery, although some may give a few
more or a few less in the physical size. While the individual
manufacturers would probably have you believe otherwise, the technology
involved is pretty much standard, and so I'd always give priority to
price rather than brand name.

Price varies, but I recently saw 110Ah batteries on sale at Salop
Caravans in Shrewsbury for around the 45 mark, which seemed very
reasonable to me. I bought both of mine through a trade contact, and
didn't get them much cheaper than that.

Just as important as the battery (possibly more so) is a decent battery
charger. The 'intelligent' ones are the best, while the constant
voltage ones are slower but just as effective. Be sure to buy a charger
which states that it's suitable for charging leisure batteries, and
don't go near the cheap, unregulated chargers, as these make it
difficult to achieve 100% charge without overcharging and damaging the
battery.

--
David Thornber

The 'nospam' address is a double-bluff, and any e-mail sent to it should
actually reach me. Failing that, send mail to 'dthornber at' instead.