winter wheels

Old October 5th 05, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave

Default winter wheels

I am thinking of buying some winter wheels Not wheels at all - more like a
metal plate with stud holes) for my single axle van.
I have seen some on Towsure website for 16. But they look a bit flimsy.

Two questions:
Has anyone any experience of the Towsure kit?
If such things are fitted to a van, can you still get in and out of it
(without them buckling up or collapsing?

Dave

Old October 5th 05, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Dave wrote:

I am thinking of buying some winter wheels Not wheels at all - more
like a metal plate with stud holes) for my single axle van.
I have seen some on Towsure website for 16. But they look a bit
flimsy.

Two questions:
Has anyone any experience of the Towsure kit?
If such things are fitted to a van, can you still get in and out of it
(without them buckling up or collapsing?

Dave

Dunno - but my 'winter wheels' are wheels and tyres which I got from a
scrapyard for a fiver each. They're not road legal in the sense that the
tyres are a bit under-rated - but they're adequate for my purpose, and
enable the van to be moved a bit when needed. They would also accept wheel
clamps were I to fit them - as some insurance companies seem to insist.

If you go this route, the wheels don't have to be identical with the
originals - but a few critical factors have to be right - like number of
stud holes and their PCD, central hole to go over bearing cap, more or less
the right offset, etc.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old October 5th 05, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"Hitch Lock" wrote in message
Dave wrote:

[...]

Another comment to pass is that they are NOT ACCEPTABLE to SOME insurance
companies , so check your T&C's

DieSea

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0540-1, 04/10/2005
Tested on: 05/10/2005 11:03:13

Old October 5th 05, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Uno Hoo!

"Dave" wrote in message
I am thinking of buying some winter wheels Not wheels at all - more like a
metal plate with stud holes) for my single axle van.
I have seen some on Towsure website for 16. But they look a bit flimsy.

Two questions:
Has anyone any experience of the Towsure kit?
If such things are fitted to a van, can you still get in and out of it
(without them buckling up or collapsing?

I have Pyramid winter wheels and they are very sturdy and you can climb in
and out of the van while they are in situ without problem. There is one
comment I would make, however: when the caravan is on winter wheels, the
rubber suspension is still compressed and under strain. If you use axle
stands under the main cross member, however, that allows the suspension to
drop and 'rest' throughout the winter. I have now begun doing this - and
it's easier to slip an axle stand underneath the van rather than mess about
with replacing the wheels. I do cover the tyres to protect them from
UV/Weather etc.

Kev

Old October 5th 05, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

DieSea wrote:

Another comment to pass is that they are NOT ACCEPTABLE to SOME
insurance companies , so check your T&C's

DieSea

Exactly *what* are not acceptable to some insurance companies? I'm confused
by your reply!
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old October 5th 05, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 16:28:02 +0100, "Hitch Lock" wrote:

| In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
| DieSea wrote:
|

| Another comment to pass is that they are NOT ACCEPTABLE to SOME
| insurance companies , so check your T&C's
|
| DieSea
|

| Exactly *what* are not acceptable to some insurance companies? I'm confused
| by your reply!

Mine CCC demands a wheel lock, without that the excess increases.
Wheel locks without wheels is difficult :-)

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
The London suicide bombers killed innocent commuters.