Damp Meter

Old October 5th 05, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ian Pollard

Default Damp Meter

Hi
Can anyone recommend a decent damp tester to use whilst shopping
for a caravan please?

Ian
Old October 6th 05, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tinkapace

B&Q sell one I find it ok,I I am looking for a new van as we speak) the
prongs need sharpening a little, or stick needles to them they tend to leave
small holes in the wall which annoys people (it would me also) however the
needles do not leave a visible hole. However I only use it if my finger
finds a spot that I need confirming and the owner does not believe me (there
are many who just do not know there van is damp). Im ny experience 80% of
caravans over 5 years old are damp so be on your guard. Annoys me because
there is no need for it if they are looked after. Resealed regular and
stored under a cover or even better indoors.Problem is people buy them and
forget them they would not dream of doing it with their car they have just
payed a load of cash for. But they do with the caravan. Mine is 16 years old
and damp free due to being looked after like it was our house. What an
investment I reckon it cost about 3K new. Why anyone would spend 10K on a
new van then shove it on a drive in all weather unpretected 24/7 in our
British weather never resealing it or covering it and then moaning in 3
years time its damp is beyond me. However some get away with it cannot
understand that one.
Looked at a 1991 challenger Monday not a bit of damp in it stored
outside all its life never been resealed ? Not even a bit in the front (
strange for an old challenger) van was a wreck but no damp. The guy offered
to give it me for free if I could find some. What a challenge !!!....The
quest continues
--
Tim Pace
Elite Mortgage Solutions LTD

Old October 6th 05, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ian Pollard

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 10:53:00 GMT, "Tinkapace"
wrote:

B&Q sell one I find it ok,I I am looking for a new van as we speak) the
prongs need sharpening a little, or stick needles to them they tend to leave
small holes in the wall which annoys people (it would me also) however the
needles do not leave a visible hole. However I only use it if my finger
finds a spot that I need confirming and the owner does not believe me (there
are many who just do not know there van is damp). Im ny experience 80% of
caravans over 5 years old are damp so be on your guard.

SNIP
I have seen the one in B & Q but didn't give it much credence. Thanks
for the pointer, I will take a closer look at this model. Thanks also
for the snip on fitting needles to the probes. It is this kind of info
that is so useful.

Ian

Old October 7th 05, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ZZhivago

For the B&Q damp meter:
Cut a piece of soft plastic about 6mm wide x 10mm deep x 35mm long
Drill two 2mm holes (symmetrically placed 30mm apart) 5mm deep into the 10mm
thickness. Push a sewing pin in and out through the bottom of each hole so
that the head of the pin sits in the bottom.
This "bridge" can now be popped over the probe fingers when it is required
for witness free damp testing.

Paul

Old October 9th 05, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Lander

Hi
Can anyone recommend a decent damp tester to use whilst shopping
for a caravan please?
Ian

I bought the Rapitest one. This one has a series of lights on it
(more lights, more damp) which for me is better than the ones
that make a noise. Pins can cause damage as described in other replies.

I have found the one I bought he- www.toolfastdirect.co.uk
Search the site with the word "damp" and the 13-24 one is mine, but
the 19-85 one may be the one for awkward places.

Pete
(Looking north towards the Crooked Spire)