Its that time again! Ferry booking 2006

Old October 7th 05, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Spanner

Default Its that time again! Ferry booking 2006

After hundreds of hours on the computer trying to get a cheap price to
France last year and eventually deciding which one we got to France to be
told off somebody that they only paid 290 pound return Poole St Malo and
they only booked a week before, p&o had my 230 for nine months last year
gaining interest, is it worth booking early?

230 included 2 dogs at 30 each

Old October 7th 05, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
News

"Spanner" wrote in message
After hundreds of hours on the computer trying to get a cheap price to
France last year and eventually deciding which one we got to France to be
told off somebody that they only paid 290 pound return Poole St Malo and
they only booked a week before, p&o had my 230 for nine months last year
gaining interest, is it worth booking early?

230 included 2 dogs at 30 each

Got 140 this year, either CC or C&CC (She-who-must-be-obeyed negotiates),
with three weeks notice Dover/Calais. Last year got the tunnel for 90 from
one of them, but it was a very late booking. Both had "caravan free" offers
and were "unsocial" hours - 23:00 onwards. Being retired, keeping the 'van
in the garage and having annual travel insurance lets us go with minimal
planning. But it is,usually, early June for 4-6 weeks so no probs with
sites and the destinations are chosen after seeing the long-term weather
forecasts (though we missed the rain in Germany on the way south, we got
some in Switzerland on the return).

Old October 7th 05, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 11:20:11 +0100, "Spanner"
wrote:

After hundreds of hours on the computer trying to get a cheap price to
France last year and eventually deciding which one we got to France to be
told off somebody that they only paid 290 pound return Poole St Malo and
they only booked a week before, p&o had my 230 for nine months last year
gaining interest, is it worth booking early?

230 included 2 dogs at 30 each

It varies year to year, this year we booked in Feb 105 for
Dover/Calais last year in March for 130, year before booked in June
it was 180, year before wanted 300 for a July crossing booked in
June, but have paid only 120 booking late in the past.
You can guarantee a good price if you book & pay early but if you
leave it late you can be lucky of pay a fortune.

Lenny

Old October 8th 05, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Saunders

I've found much the same. The year before last, we booked in the previous
October for July and paid 120 and left it till just a couple of months
before our holiday last year and paid the same. Don't know what it's likely
to be for 2006 though Dover to Calais.

Old October 8th 05, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ferg

Last year booked in Nov for july Portmouth to le havre with p&o .. 460 4
folks plus van. 2 weeks before we were due to go i asked for a new quote..
same crossing , everything .. 220 !!! P&O gave is the cash back .. nice
folks.

Its pot luck as usual !!!!