Suggestions for France

Old October 9th 05, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
White Stork

Default Suggestions for France

Hello All,

We are looking at spending a few weeks in France during April/May and
wondered if anyone had any suggestions or experiences on sites especially
quiet ones in the Cognac/Saintes area and also Langon/Marmande, maybe
looking at spending 10 days or so at each location.

Also as we are fairly new to all this is there a good site for european
caravanning anyone could recommend, also is it worth joining a club such as
the CC as we only travel in mainland Europe and wondered if it covers that
as well as the UK.?

Sorry for so many questions but we look forward to any suggestions or tips.

Rob

Old October 11th 05, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Dew

"White Stork" wrote in message
Hello All,

We are looking at spending a few weeks in France during April/May and
wondered if anyone had any suggestions or experiences on sites especially
quiet ones in the Cognac/Saintes area and also Langon/Marmande, maybe
looking at spending 10 days or so at each location.

Also as we are fairly new to all this is there a good site for european
caravanning anyone could recommend, also is it worth joining a club such
as
the CC as we only travel in mainland Europe and wondered if it covers that
as well as the UK.?

Sorry for so many questions but we look forward to any suggestions or
tips.

Rob

Rob,

There are sites all along the river Charente but the municipal at Cognac is
probably the best. We have been there several times. It is a short walk or
bike ride along the river into town. In summer you can take a river bus
from the site to the town centre. Cognac has a lovely market especially on
Sunday mornings and there are several distilleries to visit. The river
itself is the best I know for seeing fish from the bank. We have walked and
cycled many miles along its banks and there is not a spot we have stopped at
where you cannot see a shoal of fish.

We have cycled through Langon and Marmande on bike tours but do not know of
a campsite. We pulled into the campsite at Bazas, twelve kilometres south
of Langon, in April a few years ago but it was empty. The guardian was very
pleasant but we are not fond of empty campsites so we moved on. Have
promised ourselves we shall return one day and will probably be in that area
next April or May.

Between Cognac and Langon you pass along The Gironde. The region planted
all over with vines and winemaking is pretty well all that goes on. There is
a marvellous municipal site at Blaye just north of Bordeaux. The old town
of Blaye is a walled town and the campsite is right at the top of the
citadel with views over The Medoc where the best wines in the world come
from. You drive over narrow bridges and through ancient stone gateways on
cobbled roads to get to it. The charge with electricity is about 12 Euros a
night. We were there in September this year. I could go on for pages
writing about the area between Cognac and Bordeaux but will leave it at
that. I also know of quite a few other sites near Royan and Bordeaux.

The Caravan Club has two foreign campsite guides and I think you would be
well advised to join and buy Caravan Europe Volume 1 which covers France,
Spain, Andorra and Portugal. There are thousand of sites in the French
section all with descriptions by members and we find it invaluable.

Old October 11th 05, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Dew

"Dave Dew" wrote in message
..

Sorry. Meant to say

Regards.
Dave.

Regards.
Dave.

Old October 11th 05, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Dew

"Dave Dew" wrote in message
..

Sorry. Meant to say

Regards.
Dave.

Regards.
Dave.

Old October 11th 05, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Colloff

The message
from "Dave Dew" contains these words:

The Caravan Club has two foreign campsite guides and I think you would be
well advised to join and buy Caravan Europe Volume 1 which covers France,
Spain, Andorra and Portugal. There are thousand of sites in the French
section all with descriptions by members and we find it invaluable.

Or buy the Michelin 'Camping Caravaning, le guide' which has explanatory
sections in English. It has never let me down.

Good luck, John.

Old October 11th 05, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Pleavin

As well as the CC European sites book you can get the summer and winter
rally and non rally site books by joining the Camping and Caravanning club.
every caravanner should be in both.

Old October 11th 05, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Dew

"Harry Pleavin" wrote in message
As well as the CC European sites book you can get the summer and winter
rally and non rally site books by joining the Camping and Caravanning
club. every caravanner should be in both.

I know the C&CC is a fine club but if you are mainly caravanning abroad then
it would be a waste of money. The Camping Europe guides published by the CC
are unique and the C&CC has nothing to compare. At least that was so when I
last checked about eight years ago. Volume 1 of Caravan Europe lists over
4,300 sites. How many sites in France are described in these C&CC rally
books?
I agree that a copy of the Michelin guide is also an essential for the
touring caravanner.
And remember. In France you do not need to book sites. No money up front.
You pay for your stay the evening before you decide to move on, or on the
morning of your departure. Complete freedom. Just like a Continental
bar, you pay for what you have had when you leave. Very civilised.

Regards.

Dave.