Egypt

Old October 10th 05, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Peter Lander

Default Egypt

Has anyone been to Egypt lately and would be prepared to pass on any
hints and tips about travelling in the country?

Pete
(Looking north towards the Crooked Spire)

Old October 11th 05, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
RustYİ

"Peter Lander" wrote in message
news:[email protected] .mailgate.org...
Has anyone been to Egypt lately and would be prepared to pass on any
hints and tips about travelling in the country?

A friend of ours goes to Egypt a couple of times each year. When travelling
to some sites (that's archaeological sites not campsites) she has an armed
escort and has to travel in convoys ! You may wish to check up on the
current bandit situation.

Old October 11th 05, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Eric

We went in the Spring. Only use bottled water, including teeth etc, touch no
dairy products, stay near the police or your armed guard at all times - I
strayed in Aswan and it was a bit touchy for all concerned. A great
experience otherwise.
Eric

Old October 12th 05, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
emma J

My parents went to Sharm El Sheikh earlier in year and are about to go there
again at weekend. This place is developed by the divers there for the divers
( ie tourists ) so it is modern. however the hotel they stayed in earlier in
the year was the one that got bombed - they are now staying in the one
opposite. As for going out at night - it was very safe here and still had
Egyptian traditions.
No one can help where a bombing occurs and if we were all so afraid, then no
one would go anywhere. There is more trouble in your own town if you search
for it!
The food was excellent and try their drink of fruit tea ( hibiscus flowers )
called cakkadee. My parents informed me that it was expensive. But I would
still love to go there!

Old October 12th 05, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
les milner

looking at the replies you have recieved, i would be asking myself if im
going on holiday or enlisting ??
if your company asked you to go there you would want, (no demand) danger
money so why pay ???

--
les-n-yvonne

Old October 12th 05, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Steve

Peter Lander wrote:
Has anyone been to Egypt lately and would be prepared to pass on any
hints and tips about travelling in the country?

Pete
(Looking north towards the Crooked Spire)

I went there a lot from 1992 - 2000 and always found it fantastic.

Water: Drink only bottled / boiled water, eat no salad, use no ice, eat
only unwashed fruit that you peel yourself. Use bottled water to clean
your teeth. It's OK to drink refridgerated coke, beer.

Food: Best to stick to food that has been boiled (rice, pasta) or
grilled. Best food is going to be in the big international hotels.

Hotel: Most international hotels have their own gate security. Some have
their own water purification. Some hotels have an exchange deal with
branches in Cairo, Giza and the Red Sea.

Taxis: These are cheap and your hotel ballman can offer texi tours to
see anything you want. Way better than being herded around by bus. The
taxi drivers have a relationship with the hotel so you will be looked
after and all prices are agreed up front.

Excursions: I'm not a fan of being driven round lots of hotel pick up
points and then being herded around. Taxis amake better use of your
valuable time.

Sights: I loved the pyramids (but was shocked at the hotel proximity)
but if you must ride, I warn you the camels are very uncomfortable! The
stepped pyramids at Saqqarah are worth seeing too if you have time.
Spend at least 1/2 day at the Cairo Museum with the Tutankamen
treasures. I also loved Luxor although the air transfer is chronically late.

Medical: Take treatment for upset tums etc and dioralyte rehydration
therapy. Depending on the time of year you go, and where you go you may
need malaria treatment.

Phones: Use a mobile phone - everyone in Egypt does!

Visa: You used to be able to buy it from the currency exchange counters
at the airport.