Advice wanted on levelling a twin axle caravan

Old October 11th 05, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Terry Birch

Default Advice wanted on levelling a twin axle caravan

We have just bought our first twin axle van, and I am looking for advice on
how to level it. Can anyone please advise?

--
Regards Terry Birch
All e-mails & attachments are scanned for viruses prior to transmission.

Old October 11th 05, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ian

"Terry Birch" wrote in message
news
We have just bought our first twin axle van, and I am looking for advice
on how to level it. Can anyone please advise?

Try to pitch so that the slope is at it's least across the axle. I found
that those yellow ramps with a chock at the other side of the wheel plus one
at the other side of the 'van to stop it spinning round seems to work OK.
Alternatively some people use various lengths of plywood bolted together at
one end to make an adjustable platform - just spin the pieces you don't need
out of the way. There are probably more as I'm sure other will tell you.

If it's a 'long' TA then make sure any 'front to back' slope is kept to a
minimum as well, and take a few blocks for your corner steadies, even on a
gentle slope it's surprising how much it drops off over 7mtrs or so.
Speaking of blocks I got some of the compressed polystyrene that car body
repairers get car panels packed in. I cut them into 6 8"x6" blocks, which
weigh less than a pound & will raise one end about 9" - no more lumping
heavy blocks of wood around.

--

HTH

Ian B
Please reply to NG
Anti Spam applied

Old October 11th 05, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"Terry Birch" wrote in message
news
We have just bought our first twin axle van, and I am looking for advice
on how to level it. Can anyone please advise?

You have identified a problem I have attempted to address with the CC for
years.
If an organisation advertises itself as a 'caravan site' then the
emplacements should be level.
A good 'caravan site' should have the facility to drive in, park on level
ground, stay overnight without unhitching and drive forward away in the
morning.
Tenters wouldn't expect to pay the high rates now expected to set up on a
hillside, so why should caravanners?
If it's a cl I wouldn't complain at 5 a night but commercial sites charging
extortionate rates to park on a mountain side need naming and shaming.
A single axle van can be levelled in minutes by pulling one wheel onto a
levelling ramp. You have a twin axle-twin problem.
You could do the German trick,-dig holes to drop the high side.
English, jack up the low side.
Dutch-live with it.
DaveK.

Old October 12th 05, 01:39 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy

I am going to have the same problem. But I have made a wood wedge that is
32" long, 8" wide and a 5" raise. The ramp is long enough to drive onto it
with ease. (Old scaffolding pine, srewed together and glued)

Best idea I have come up with so far.

AE

Old October 12th 05, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Dew

"davek" wrote in message

You could do the German trick,-dig holes to drop the high side.

Dave,
I don't know about Germans but that is a very common trick on the older type
of French campsite. The site at Bourg near Bordeaux a couple of years ago
was so full of holes it was positively dangerous in the dark.

Regards
Dave.

English, jack up the low side.
Dutch-live with it.
DaveK.

Old October 12th 05, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Boy

Hi Terry,
Always carry blocks of wood old 6"X2"X 24" cut one end wedge shape so your
van can roll to it,
The only time i have had trouble is on a CL & CS sites
The Club sites are all good up here in Scotland,
Hope this is of help to you,

Yours
John Boy,

CC