DIY Camper - condense water and the wall structure

Old October 12th 05, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

Default DIY Camper - condense water and the wall structure

Hi,

I'm planning to build a small size (off-road) camper on the 4wd Land
Rover (Defender or Discovery) chassis. It will be for four seasons use
and equipped for 2-3 people travelling.

I have run into a problem, when designing the camper walls. The
structure of the wall will be from outside: 0,7 mm aluminium plate -
30mm PU-insulation - 4mm plywood - wallpaper. Among the the
insulation, between the aluminium plate and the plywood there are also
30x30 mm wooden skeleton. The insulation won't absorb any moisture
and the glue will PU-based.

I'm wondering which kind of wallpaper should I use. The waterproof
wallpaper prevents the condense water going into the structures, but it
also creates an opportune condition for the rotiing, if the moisture
gets inside the wall. So, in theory the waterproof wallpaper feels
better. The moisture woudn't go into the wall because its completely
isolated. But in practise I'm not so sure. The wall isn't so
isolated, because of screwholes, bad seams etc.

So, my question is, that shoud the inside surface (wallpaper on the 4mm
plywood) be waterproof or breathable?

I would really appreciate if someone could help me with this matter.
Also, if you know any information sources on the internet for building
up a camper, especially for the off-road use, please inform me about
them.

Kindly,

Markku Kalima,
Finland.

email. mjk (at) luukku.com

Old October 12th 05, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Another Dave

wrote:
[...]

Have you tried the Self Build Motor Caravan Club? They seem to have all
the experience you require.

http://www.sbmcc.co.uk/

Another Dave.

--
Change nospam to f2s in e-mail address

Old October 12th 05, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
johnh

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Take a look at this site http://tinyurl.com/xzt0 as he seems to have the