Channel Tunnel

Old October 12th 05, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mr W Z Boson

Default Channel Tunnel

We've just spent a while in France. We booked the crossing with the CC
- just missed out on their 120 ferry fares - but got a 140 return
crossing with Eurotunnel.

The only crossings available at the time were "unsocial" hours - in our
case 03:00 both ways.

The day we left (in July) was the weekend after the London bombings+the
day after the evacuation of B'ham city centre+the day of the Brit.
Grand Prix. So we set off really early, expecting the M1/M6 to be
solid.

In the event we had a very trouble-free journey - arriving in
Folkestone at the embarrassingly early time of 18:00.

So - I suggested waltzing straight up to the check-in to see what
happened - well, blow me, the lady said we had a "flexible ticket" and
could go on the next train (in 15 minutes).

So, instead of spending the evening sampling the delights of
Folkestone, we were sitting on a French campsite enjoying steak frites
and wine!

Same thing happened on the way back - got there at 16:00 and got a
train at 17:00.

Funny though - I had looked up the online fares the day before we left
and they were quoting something like 400 each way, yet the outbound
journey had a total of 4 cars on it. Seems a strange way to run a
business.

Old October 12th 05, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
mike

Same with the ferries.
Always book a late night/early morning ticket a day later than we want, then
turn up at anytime and get on the next availiable ferry with no extra cost.
100% success upto now.

oups.com...

Old October 12th 05, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
GJ

I think that you have been very lucky. I arrived a few hours for a P&O ferry
from Dover and was not even allowed to wait on the dockside. I had to go
back up the A2 and wait in a lay by.
GJ
"mike" wrote in message
Same with the ferries.
Always book a late night/early morning ticket a day later than we want,
then turn up at anytime and get on the next availiable ferry with no extra
cost.
100% success upto now.

oups.com...

Old October 13th 05, 06:42 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

"mike" wrote in message
Same with the ferries.
Always book a late night/early morning ticket a day later than we want,
then turn up at anytime and get on the next availiable ferry with no
extra cost.
100% success upto now.

"Mr W Z Boson" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

We travel to Holland via Calais every couple of months to visit my wife's
mother - have done so for 37 years. The ferry pricing is only consistent is
being not consistent. Three weeks ago I was quoted 134 for a three day
return by Eurotunnel and 130, by P&O as a shareholder. Told P&O that I
wasn't prepared to pay that sort of money and was offered a non-shareholder
price of 70. I have found several times before that the shareholder's
price is not the cheapest although it normally is over a two weeks or more.

Jim

Old October 13th 05, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ALun Jenkins

Mr W Z Boson wrote:
We've just spent a while in France. We booked the crossing with the CC
- just missed out on their 120 ferry fares - but got a 140 return
crossing with Eurotunnel.

The only crossings available at the time were "unsocial" hours - in our
case 03:00 both ways.

Indeed i too think you were lucky !
Missed out booked crossing at 10 pm told now more room for caravans till
3 and you cant wait in the car park
return at 2 after 1 hr sleep get read to load on got as far as the train
and told no room we cant fit you on next is 5.30 am , this time we went
around all the service roads and we asked to wait just inside the
barriers. We we not the only ones! Chatting to the guy on duty he told
me that the
new policy is to ram the tarins as full as poss and as they dont ask how
long you are sometime they cant get all caravans on !

Similar experience on the way back. Made our time and we got on but two
behind didnt.

Never again !

Previously we had done the same as you arrived early/late with a flexi
ticket and put on the next train. They seem to be enforcing the booked
crossing time quite strictly.
Its sea france for us at xmas

Old October 13th 05, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim Crawford

"mike" wrote in message
Same with the ferries.
Always book a late night/early morning ticket a day later than we want,

then
turn up at anytime and get on the next availiable ferry with no extra

cost.
100% success upto now.

Last year we were booked on a 6am ferry from Dover, we arrived Wednesday
afternoon and were asked for an extra 500, or 400 on the midnight
crossing. When I'd stopped laughing I told the lady I'd be back for the
thursday 6am ferry.

Jim