An object lesson.

Old August 17th 03, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Default An object lesson.

I, long ago, wired the TV from the 12V lighting circuit in the van and it
worked well, but the new TV, requiring rather more current, was not
running for long when using only the battery, so I suspected the lead
resistance.

Measuring the voltages I found that I had 2V drop, measured as a difference
between the battery voltage and the TV, 1 volt of which was in the
original lighting circuit. Clearly something needed to be done.

I ran new 3 sq mm wires from a spare fuse in the control box, by the
shortest route I could find. I also found a big loop in the cable from
the battery to the control box, and removed 1.5m from this. Using the new
wires I found the voltage drop was 0.5V between the battery and the TV.
I also got about five times as much TV time from a full battery.

The lesson to be learned is: if you wish to wire the van for a 12V TV, use
a *new* circuit with *thick* wire and as *short* a run as possible. The
current rating of the wire is of less importance than the voltage drop.

Same goes for invertors which drive TVs or other high power devices.

Dave Fawthrop Butane v Propane.
Butane gives about 15% more cups of tea per bottle. Butane gives
about 5% more cups of tea per GBP. Propane works in winter near
freezing point. All UK Propane bottles have the same fitting.